Very LOW MPG (15 MPG) for 2014 my NISSAN Rouge! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #11
Registered Member

Sure, but engines are becoming smaller and more powerful, large engines are becoming less and less popular. In Europe, some larger cars now have 0.9 litre engines, ideal for the city, but equaly at home on the highway as they can still do over 100 MPH and of course economy is up to 76 MPG too.

But back on topic, im sure after a while your economy will start to improve. Perhaps the only short term way to improve it is to try and use the car less for short trips. I can imagine traffic is pretty bad, average speed per journey is probably close to walking speed so you could be healthier and richer to travel by foot for short trips

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #12
Registered Member

Try measuring your fuel economy during a longer trip if you have a dash mpg function. I think it's normal and it's just that you are driving in high traffic area. My CX-5 now has 9000 miles, and I don't really see the mpg increasing, so I wouldn't expect any improvment unless you start driving more hwys.

hp79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:45 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Sure, but engines are becoming smaller and more powerful, large engines are becoming less and less popular. In Europe, some larger cars now have 0.9 litre engines, ideal for the city, but equaly at home on the highway as they can still do over 100 MPH and of course economy is up to 76 MPG too.
The only 1.0 L car in the US market is the smart fortwo. They haven't felt the big pinch of high gas prices like the European or Canadian markets so their cars are still a little on the "larger" side. Even here in Canada with our high prices people still tend to gravitate towards those horrible minivans, SUV's and F-150's....of course, I can't really say much - I have a 3.3L V6
Old 11-14-2014, 05:09 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouSiffer View Post
The only 1.0 L car in the US market is the smart fortwo.
Ford offers a 1.0 3-cylinder Fiesta.
2008 Mustang Bullitt #5389
2002 MINI Cooper S
2000 Roush Cougar V6
B3NN3TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:07 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3NN3TT View Post
Ford offers a 1.0 3-cylinder Fiesta.
Yea the ECO BOOST, great engine and good for 150 BHP. We get it in the Focus here too. Anyone following the World Rally will see the Fiesta M-Sports, 1.6 litre ECO BOOST with 300 BHP! Hoping to catch them in action this weekend as the rally is here in Wales for the final stages.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:17 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Your engine is not broken in yet, city driving is just a few miles at a time typically the first mile is less than 10mpg for most cars. Tire pressure monitors are not going to indicate slightly low pressure and your rogue calls for 36-38 psi if I remember from a friend who just got another one after getting her 6 year old one totaled. She gets over 25mpg close to 30mpg I think ... Better than her old one that averaged 25 or less the way she drives it. I got 36mpg driving it smart. Both had/have AWD CVT. Get it out on the highway for a trip at normal not 70mph speeds and see what a trip yields ... Fill it, drive it, fill it again, then see ... Maybe your gas is leaking out when parked (parking attendant)?
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:11 AM   #17
Registered Member

I don't see that my gas is leaking. I also got Infinity G35, I got about 15-17 MPG in the same city, same driving condition!! I think I should go to service to check why my MPG so low in city.
lenka12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:05 AM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenka12 View Post
I don't see that my gas is leaking. I also got Infinity G35, I got about 15-17 MPG in the same city, same driving condition!! I think I should go to service to check why my MPG so low in city.
Ahem I mean maybe someone that parks your car is stealing the gas from your tank?
Do you warm the car up before you drive it? That burns a lot of gas without going anywhere and will substantially lower your mileage.

One thing about the CVT to get great mileage you have to press lightly on the gas pedal so that the engine RPMs stay low as you accelerate. If you can keep the RPM below 1500 you should do well. I try to keep it at 1000 when I drove my friends and it was at that RPM for up to 40 mph.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #19
Registered Member

We own a 2010 Rouge with the same features you have (awd etc.). On hwy trips we average 22-24 mpg. Around town with my wife driving (lead foot) it gets about 16-17 mpg
motox155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:50 PM   #20
Registered Member

Using a branded gas, such as Chevron or Shell can make a difference, or find a gas without ethanol added is best. Has all your gasoline been from one gas station? Your mileage is bad for this model of car, I looked all over the net only found one other with mileage this bad, and he was still searching for answers too. In his case he switched from an AWD model to a FWD model in the hopes of better economy, but the FWD model was giving him 12 mpg! I would have the dealer look at it, and if it comes out clean but you continue to get bad mileage you may consider selling it, maybe get a mid size hybrid.

itripper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nissan rouge 2014