VSS for supermid - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2007, 10:50 AM   #11
Supporting Member

I think I'll have to buy a 96-00 civic under dash wiring harness. Sucks cause the only one on ebay would put me back $105 and I can't spend that kind of cash.

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:51 AM   #12
Registered Member

Reading your posts above, I'm not sure you got this tidbit, but if you switch to a transmission mounted VSS, you will no longer have a speedo cable. The Integra speedometer and odometer are driven by the same VSS signal that is sent to the ECU.
Getting the old, cable driven speedo gear out of the transmission can be a pain. The assembly tends to bond itself in the transmission. Given it's location, removing the transmission from the car would make the job much easier, but that's probably not an option. At least take off the rear engine mount bracket.
Don't forget to remove the little retaining tab first. Heat (i.e. a propane blowtorch) should help. Aluminum's an excellent thermal conductor, so you may need to leave the torch on that general area for a few minutes. Trying to pry upwards on the retaining tab slot generally just breaks off chunk of aluminum that comprises the top of the slot, but it may save some time once you've broken things loose.

GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:08 PM   #13
Supporting Member

Yeah, I read about it being a pain to remove the old cable VSS. I think I'm going to try and tap into the gauge cluster VSS if possible and maybe forget switching over the cluster and going to tranny VSS. It seems that they give the same/similar readings anyway, as long as the supermid can read the output from the stock gauge cluster VSS

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote