VX adjustable cam questions - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

VX adjustable cam questions

So, after reading all the info from Metrompg on this forum and ecomodder.com, I've decided I want to try an adjustable cam gear.
I'm not sure if this is posted in the right place. If not, move me!

I'm good with install, that's cake since I've done sever timing belts in these cars with no problems. I recently did a valve adjustment too.

One question I have is where do I find that key for the shaft? The cam gear has an integrated key now that has a taper to the inside of it.

Second question is will this one fit:
http://www.amazon.com/Honda-Civic-So.../dp/B004506HYE
It is inexpensive and the seller says it fits all D cars. I think that means it should be okay, but I do not know.
If not this seller, anywhere else to get the right one for the best price?

Third question: (well, I guess it's now the fourth)
The low end rpms of this motor suck. I cant climb a hill with no passengers/extra weight without putting it in fourth and losing 5-10 miles an hour. Good hills require 3rd to keep the revs low and still have some power.
The question is has anyone installed one of these, what are the power gains at low revs (I know overall hp is lower), what are potential MPG gains, etc.

Last question is:
How many degrees advanced? I've been seeing 5 as a good place to start. Obviously I could adjust it and aba test it. Also, what about ignition timing after that? Shouldn't I then retard ignition timing from it's already advanced setting to compensate/eliminate ping?

Thanks all.
This place is really helpful.
B

benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
Lean Burn Mode

Re: VX adjustable cam questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfrogg View Post
So, after reading all the info from Metrompg on this forum and ecomodder.com, I've decided I want to try an adjustable cam gear.
I'm not sure if this is posted in the right place. If not, move me!

I'm good with install, that's cake since I've done sever timing belts in these cars with no problems. I recently did a valve adjustment too.

One question I have is where do I find that key for the shaft? The cam gear has an integrated key now that has a taper to the inside of it.

Second question is will this one fit:
http://www.amazon.com/Honda-Civic-So.../dp/B004506HYE
It is inexpensive and the seller says it fits all D cars. I think that means it should be okay, but I do not know.
If not this seller, anywhere else to get the right one for the best price?

Third question: (well, I guess it's now the fourth)
The low end rpms of this motor suck. I cant climb a hill with no passengers/extra weight without putting it in fourth and losing 5-10 miles an hour. Good hills require 3rd to keep the revs low and still have some power.
The question is has anyone installed one of these, what are the power gains at low revs (I know overall hp is lower), what are potential MPG gains, etc.

Last question is:
How many degrees advanced? I've been seeing 5 as a good place to start. Obviously I could adjust it and aba test it. Also, what about ignition timing after that? Shouldn't I then retard ignition timing from it's already advanced setting to compensate/eliminate ping?

Thanks all.
This place is really helpful.
B
IMHO I think the adjustable cam gear is a waste of money. Honda did a killer job with cam timing. I have personally had adjustable cam gears on different D-series engines over the years and they always tend to run the best with the setting at 0.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hey Pgfpro,
You are our resident honda expert! As such, I have a tendency to believe you. I wanted to do this mod because I'm looking for lower rpm power. I dont care about the expense of higher rpm power as I rarely (twice a month or so) use it.
I was sitting outside my idling car the other day (while playing musical cars in the driveway to get mine in the garage and hers out) and was thinking how marvelous this thing sounds at warmed up idle. It really is a super smooth, super quiet, well balanced motor.

Any thoughts other than cam advance to gain a little lower rpm nuts without sacrificing a lot for FE? Keep in mind I'm on the shoestring budget as I play music for my living!
B
Old 10-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
Lean Burn Mode

Quote:
Hey Pgfpro,
You are our resident honda expert! As such, I have a tendency to believe you. I wanted to do this mod because I'm looking for lower rpm power. I dont care about the expense of higher rpm power as I rarely (twice a month or so) use it.
I was sitting outside my idling car the other day (while playing musical cars in the driveway to get mine in the garage and hers out) and was thinking how marvelous this thing sounds at warmed up idle. It really is a super smooth, super quiet, well balanced motor.

Any thoughts other than cam advance to gain a little lower rpm nuts without sacrificing a lot for FE? Keep in mind I'm on the shoestring budget as I play music for my living!
B
You can advance the dist. a little for some low rpm power. Just make sure the car doesn't ping after you do this.

The other thing that most Honda's responded to is the addition of ground wires. I have added grounds to about 10 different customers cars and all have responded to it.

The other thing I do is have the injectors cleaned and flowed its amazing how many of these older cars need injector maintenance. If any of injectors are down on flow you will see a huge gain in power and FE. This will run around $40.00 to $50.00 for all four. What i have found since they have introduced ethanol to our fuel is the ethanol loosing's crap up and it will clog the fuel filter and the top side of the injectors.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
Registered Member

Pgfpro-
I've added a couple of grounds to the valve cover, but I'm thinking of putting them somewhere else. The cover itself is pretty isolated already, now that I'm thinking about it. Rubber gasket on the meeting surface, rubber washers on the bolts...
Where did you run your grounds to? I took the ground end right to a junction block that feeds the negative terminal on the battery.

Injectors are next on my list, as well as taking the intake off and cleaning it inside and out. I did a set of injectors with a one man brake bleeder, vacuum, a 12v battery and plug to hold the injector open, and a cap full of injector cleaner in my volvo 740. Definitely smoothed things out. Probably worth doing to this car. I don't believe there are any shops close by that clean em' if I'm not mistaken. Have you ever cleaned them yourself and how so?
Thanks!
B
Old 10-24-2010, 04:16 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Quote:
I did a set of injectors with a one man brake bleeder, vacuum, a 12v battery and plug to hold the injector open, and a cap full of injector cleaner in my volvo 740. Definitely smoothed things out.
Now that's some fine ingenuity right there! I don't know if I ever would have thought of that.

You can get them done professionally via mail. I think my meta-sig has links to posts with companies that do it. If your car can't be down while you wait, you can grab some injectors at a junkyard.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
Lean Burn Mode

Quote:
Pgfpro-
I've added a couple of grounds to the valve cover, but I'm thinking of putting them somewhere else. The cover itself is pretty isolated already, now that I'm thinking about it. Rubber gasket on the meeting surface, rubber washers on the bolts...
Where did you run your grounds to? I took the ground end right to a junction block that feeds the negative terminal on the battery.

Injectors are next on my list, as well as taking the intake off and cleaning it inside and out. I did a set of injectors with a one man brake bleeder, vacuum, a 12v battery and plug to hold the injector open, and a cap full of injector cleaner in my volvo 740. Definitely smoothed things out. Probably worth doing to this car. I don't believe there are any shops close by that clean em' if I'm not mistaken. Have you ever cleaned them yourself and how so?Thanks!
B
I run a battery ground on the front of the engine block to the frame.

The other one is also on the engine block but on the pass side.

I have cleaned a new set of injectors on a 9 second turbo mustang after we switch to E85 fuel. In fact we had to clean then three times. But all we did was pulled them and used carb. cleaner and got all the junk out of the top of them.

I prefer to have my injectors professionally cleaned. They flow them before and after and I like the data sheet to tell we whats up and give me a piece of mind.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
Registered Member

I'm going to upload a youtube video of my injector cleaning setup later tonight. I'll put it in a new post. It'd be great to have a flow rate chart, but I'm going by the seat of the pants scale. I can see the fluid moving more quickly backward up the clear tube. The faster it moves, the cleaner it is. I can hear the injector clicking louder after it's been cleaned. I assume this is because it's able to open slightly more causing a louder volume.
Video soon!
B
Old 10-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
Lean Burn Mode

Heres some pics of my injectors being flowed.

Before

After

in this pic number four is the same, I got some reflection off the flash
Old 10-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
Registered Member

Awesome shots!
I've got 4 spare injectors from the parts car, maybe I'll have them done when I get some scratch. No problem sending those out because I don't need them right away.
B