VX Advice - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
Registered Member

VX Advice

So, here goes another VX post about the 02 sensor.

I replaced my original 02 because the check engine light was on. (02 code)

I bought the Standard Model SG335. It was $75. I'm convinced it just cannot be a wideband sensor. It has the right plug and looks like the ticket. No L1H1 printing though.
I tested the sensor via the hanynes book. It seems there is no continuity between the heater wires. This may be because it's not the right part. I've only put 15k on this sensor so I find it unlikely to have a failed heater. Who knows. I'm waiting on amazon to ship me my new, more accurate multi-meter so I can't verify the output of resistance.

Since putting the sensor in, I do feel the car go into lean burn. (it didn't before) The problem has always been, it's extraordinarily hard to keep it there. On level ground at 60mph, it will not maintain speed and lean burn. It will either slow down or lose lean burn. If there is zero wind, and the tires are good and warm, and the car is not loaded with gear, I can sometimes maintain 60 without slowing down on level ground. Any higher speed no way. Around 40mph I can maintain it better.

The slightest grade and I have to lose it. Is this the way everyone else experiences it?

I'm thinking this sensor is just not giving accurate enough readings to keep the car rolling at 60 in lean burn. I think it must lean out too much or something. Just a guess.

I have a bit of extra cash right now and I want to decide how best to spend it. I've been looking in the local scrap yards for an insight that I can buy the sensor from for $15 or so. This way I could test it before dropping the $200 for the new one.

I could also buy a set of sumitomo htrt4's I've been eyeballing. I'll need tires in the spring anyway.

I could also buy a VX motor and tranny from a local racer for $100. It does not have the 02. It does have a running, 155k motor/tranny. No distributor or altenator. It seems like a really good deal.
He also has a set of vx wheels with 4 mismatched tires for $75.

By the way: No brakes dragging. Good wheel bearings all around. Cammback/wheel skirts for aero. Rear aero part still installed. Weight reduced. Stock intake. New filters, wires, cap, rotor, coil, igniter, etc. Cleaned injectors. Cleaned EGR ports/egr/egr is working right. Cleaned TB. New synthetic tranny fluid. Synthetic motor oil. I'm sure there's more that's already been done too.

VX's, please check in!
Thanks
B

benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Registered Member

Re: VX Advice

Not much help, but I'm interested in the answers as well.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
jmf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfrogg View Post
Since putting the sensor in, I do feel the car go into lean burn. (it didn't before) The problem has always been, it's extraordinarily hard to keep it there. On level ground at 60mph, it will not maintain speed and lean burn. It will either slow down or lose lean burn. If there is zero wind, and the tires are good and warm, and the car is not loaded with gear, I can sometimes maintain 60 without slowing down on level ground. Any higher speed no way. Around 40mph I can maintain it better.

B
This all sounds like a failed O2 sensor to me. You should be able to maintain 70 in lean burn on level ground. When I got my VX I could not hold a constant speed on the interstate. After replacing the O2 sensor it was like a different car.

jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
Registered Member

Jmf-
What 02 did you buy? The NTK/NGK 24300? That's the cheapest real one I've found. Do you have a link or a product description?

Also, can you refresh your garage so it will show up in your posts? There's a blurb about it in the tech section. You just have to go into edit garage and then just save and it fixes it.

Thanks for the info! It looks like it's worth spending the $200.
B
Old 12-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
Registered Member

Oh and did you have a check engine light before replacing the 02?
Thanks again.
B
Old 12-15-2010, 03:01 AM   #6
jmf
Registered Member

O2 sensor

My engine light was on and a garage said the EGR valve needed to be replaced.
When I changed the O2 I reset the light and it has not come back on.

jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
Registered Member

Okay, I'm going to order the $200 one from here:
http://www.oxygensensor.net/ntk_o2/24300.php

I'll post an update on this page when it comes and I install it.
Here comes the credit card!
B
Old 12-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
Registered Member

I have an extra EGR valve from a vx if you're intrested
GasSavers_1stHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

If the $75 one is one of the ones I link to and is not what it should be, I'd definitely like to know so I can adjust my link.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
Registered Member

Theholycow-
No, I don't believe it to be that one. The reason I'm going with the $189.99 plus shipping one is that it has L1H1 (or L2H2) printed on it. It's also listed for the insight as well as the VX. I'm at the point where, 119.99 for something that is likely to be right but still has the possibility (in my mind at least) of being wrong is not worth not spending the extra $75 for the one that is 189.99 and (I have read in many places) is right.

I'll report back on this after it is installed. If it proves to increase mileage and make it easier to maintain lean burn, I'll have let you know. You can then post a link to a "bunk" sensor that didn't work; The "Standard SG335." It seems like an in house number, but maybe not. It was purchased in Augusta, ME at Motor Supply Company. They are regional, I think.
I'll post the numbers printed on it when I pull it too.
B