VX engine swap on to Coupe - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2008, 10:52 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2cbr View Post
Your numbers are impressive. Would you get better or worse FE if you used the CX/VX gearbox? Are 45-50mpg possible with coupe and VX motor/trans?

Did you lighten your EX? (2250# is 193 less than spec.)

I didn't think about using a EX due to weight but if you get 2250 for EX coupe, with little/no mod for lightening, EX chassis is a good choice for all the goodies. Do the DX coupes have different exhaust than EX?

Did you do the swap yourself? Want to do mine?!

Look forward to your build post!
I am not sure about the FE change... we shall see (just bolted a CX tranny up... but installed a header at the same time so I won't be sure which items gives what FE gain).

My goal is 50mpg on the highway (with a 4 wire 02). Once I finish installing all of my planned mods I will pull the wipers (and pass. side mirror) off and take a nice long trip and see what I can get out of her.

My EX does not have passenger side air bag (or any of the yellow wires or control unit), the trunk is gutted, and there were no a/c parts when I had it corner weighted. I hope to check the corner weight once I finish the a/c install. It will be a 'full wet' weight check with a full tank of gas and trunk parts.

I will try to post up my corner weight numbers this evening when I get home.

I did not plan on using a EX... (did not want a theft magnet hatch) but the price was right for the shell ($1500) and my brother had a spare Z1 swap that needed a home.
It had been sitting upside down behind his shop for over a year...

The creature comforts (p/s, a/c, pdl, pw, roof, mirrors) made the transition from my 945T Volvo a little bit eaiser.
Now if I could just install some heated leather seats....

I am not sure of the DX/EX exhaust bits...

My brother and I did the swap over the course of a few weeks (working at night). Do it again? I don't think my wife would let me

GasSavers_Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:01 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post

My goal is 50mpg on the highway (with a 4 wire 02). Once I finish installing all of my planned mods I will pull the wipers (and pass. side mirror) off and take a nice long trip and see what I can get out of her.

My EX does not have passenger side air bag (or any of the yellow wires or control unit), the trunk is gutted, and there were no a/c parts when I had it corner weighted. I hope to check the corner weight once I finish the a/c install. It will be a 'full wet' weight check with a full tank of gas and trunk parts.

:
Why didn't you go 5 wire on the O2? I read somewhere 4 wire can convert to 5 wire easily right? Why have a CA car when you don't have to? Are there benefits to 4 wire?

What do you mean by corner weight? Are you weighing each corner (wheel) separately on one scale?

goof2cbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:15 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2cbr View Post
Why didn't you go 5 wire on the O2? I read somewhere 4 wire can convert to 5 wire easily right? Why have a CA car when you don't have to? Are there benefits to 4 wire?

What do you mean by corner weight? Are you weighing each corner (wheel) separately on one scale?
Because 4 wires are cheaper than 5.

I have a P07 ECU... but with the chippable P28 that I am using, the fuel and ignition maps can be 'adjusted' to suit my needs (along with other items that are adjusted).

If I can get 90%-95% of the FE that a 5 wire system gets without having to worry about keeping the car in lean burn mode... I am all for it.

Corner weight = putting a scale under each wheel and adjusting the coil over suspension to make sure that all four corners of the car exerts the same force on the ground.
http://www.ground-control.com/gctalk4.htm
GasSavers_Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:59 PM   #14
Registered Member

Corner weight numbers:

729 | 671
---------
475 | 437

X-Weights:
1166/1146

Total:
2312 pounds (I was incorrect)