VX envy? - Just buy a Yaris - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2009, 04:12 AM   #11
Registered Member

The Fit is really a different class of car (or van), 20 years ago with its weight it would be considered a full size car.

I hope Honda comes out with a compact car again one day. But I think they know they can't compete with Hyandia.

regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:21 AM   #12
Registered Member

The next few years should be very exciting given the new emphasis on efficiency. I wanted to get a used car and just wait a few years for the new choices, but now that I'm living by myself I really wanted the reliability of a new car (my first). Also, the used efficient car market around where I live is lousy. Nobody was selling an efficient car that was in any sort of good shape unless I went a really long way (gas was around $4 a gallon then). My immediate area has this really strange inflated sense of used prices. Cars, yard sales, even baby clothes. I had a moving sale with what I thought were reasonable prices (at least by MA standards) and people descended like locusts and cleaned me out. Didn't even wait for me to finish setting up (had people coming into my house to look at stuff I hadn't had time to move outside yet). Kinda surreal.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:23 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Fit isn't THAT heavy. 2489-2615lbs depending on how equipped. Yaris is 2293-2340lbs depending on model (but not including optional equipment).

For comparisonn, 1980 Buick LeSabre that's longer than longcat, listed curb weight is 3500lbs.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:25 AM   #14
Registered Member

What does a 1994 vx weigh, as a point of comparison?

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 04-10-2009, 04:27 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
My immediate area has this really strange inflated sense of used prices. Cars, yard sales, even baby clothes. I had a moving sale with what I thought were reasonable prices (at least by MA standards) and people descended like locusts and cleaned me out. Didn't even wait for me to finish setting up (had people coming into my house to look at stuff I hadn't had time to move outside yet). Kinda surreal.
Sounds like I'd be wise to load my truck and my camper full of my stuff and drag it up there for a yard sale. 10mpg towing the camper, 270 miles, that's 54 gallons round trip (unless I sell the camper too), so $120 or so to sell my stuff to a crowd of locusts vs. failing to sell it here if I bothered to try...
Old 04-10-2009, 04:27 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
What does a 1994 vx weigh, as a point of comparison?
2100 pounds.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:29 AM   #17
Registered Member

Here, at yard sales most people expect like 85-90% of the price new. I saw a Miata for sale, and really wish I could recall the asking price and year now. It was in quite good shape, but the guy wanted more than twice it's blue book value (it was older). Miata's not my style, but I was having my last car fixed and had time to kill in town so took a look.

co de pen den cy

Old 04-10-2009, 04:30 AM   #18
Registered Member

Huh, not as dramatic a difference as I anticipated. Under a ton is starting to push things for current tech (let alone 1994 tech), I guess. The Fortwo's 1600 lbs!

co de pen den cy

Old 04-10-2009, 04:37 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
The next few years should be very exciting given the new emphasis on efficiency. I wanted to get a used car and just wait a few years for the new choices, but now that I'm living by myself I really wanted the reliability of a new car (my first). .

I'm in the same situation, recently got divorced. Then I realized that I better have a dependable car with a loaner from the dealer if something does break. I've bought trucks new but this is my first new car at 38 years old.

I thought with the economy in the toilet that it would be a strong used car buyers market. But its not as far as dependable economical cars. Every used Civic I looked out was way too expensive for the miles/condition. You can get a good deal on a 50k mile Lotus though
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:40 AM   #20
Registered Member

Well for the used market, I'd expect people to hang onto what they've got in a downturn rather than shell out for a new vehicle. Especially if it's in good shape! It's a catch-22.

I would've been willing to risk it, but this area's very rural and I have no friends or family within 5 hrs (moving here was my ex's idea - I'm also recently divorced). I didn't realize how good I had it before, as I ran a scooter and just borrowed my ex's car whenever I needed it. Guy she ran off with sold me his winter beater for $100. That lasted a year.

co de pen den cy