VX envy? - Just buy a Yaris - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2009, 01:19 AM   #1
Registered Member

VX envy? - Just buy a Yaris

I remember test driving a new '94 VX Civic , I was fresh out of college and came close to buying it , but bought a new Ford Ranger instead. Funny that the Honda dealership looked like some fly-by-night rinky-dink outfit compared to the Ford dealer back then. Well it was a dumb mistake I have regretted , been looking for a VX in good shape the last several years.

Unmolested EG Civics are hard to find, any VX Civics that are in good shape are never going to be for sale.

I finally came to grips with the fact that I will never own a VX and last month bought a new 09 Yaris LB 3DR 5spd. I live in an area with hill after hill and curve after curve. I am averaging 40 mpg, I really doubt that a VX would do much better on these roads.

The Yaris doesn't have a double wishbone suspension, but I plan on correcting its handling quirks with a TRD suspension. It does have a stiffer chassis than any EG Civic and it is very peppy with the dual overhead cam variable valve timed engine.

Honda has abandoned its lightweight subcompact car heritage. The Fit to me is a micro-van. I recommend the Yaris as the next best thing to a VX, and you don't have to worry about the previous owner teenager who forgot to change the oil. The Yaris is available new and in many ways superior to the VX.

regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:55 AM   #2
Registered Member

Last summer when my last car died I wanted a Yaris. Couldn't get them then, though. Does the central console bother you at all? A lot of reviewers complained about it, but I have to admit the efficiency of it serving both left and right hand driving markets appealed to my somewhat skewed sense of priorities. Never test drove one though.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:03 AM   #3
Registered Member

I like the center speedo, don't have to move your hands to see it. The Yaris sales are down 50%, you can name your price. I paid $11.5 out the door.

Its geared more for a city/country road vehicle than an interstate/highway vehicle. If you could mate the Yaris 1.5L into a VX with a VX tranny, I'll bet it would get better milage than a VX engine. Its an incredible engine, they should have given it a tall 6th gear for highway commuters, but for me its perfect.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:14 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I like the center speedo, don't have to move your hands to see it. The Yaris sales are down 50%, you can name your price. I paid $11.5 out the door.
Thanks for rubbing it in! When I tried to get one, the dealers were trying to get me to pay MORE for them (because I had no car and have no friends/family in the area waiting a long time was tough). What they should've really been doing is offering me a discount if I would be willing to wait for delivery. They were acting like the Yaris was the only option available. Oh what a difference a few months can make!

BEEF's been trying to convince me to get a Fortwo while prices are depressed. Evil man!

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 04-10-2009, 03:24 AM   #5
Registered Member

I test drove two entry Yaris's back in Late 07, early 08. Regal, they didn't make a Yaris in 2005, typo?

Loved the interior of the HB, hated the interior on the Sedan. Loved the looks of the sedan, hated the looks of the HB. I was torn, and since Toyota wasn't budging much on price, I just decided to walk from the idea.

In today's offerings from all the manufacturers, the Yaris has the competition for FE and entry price beat, in a VERY bad way. The Yaris is the only sensible, affordable, and reliable (check yaris forums for more on this) offering for FE minded drivers on a budget who crave "new".

I will say this, the day I drove both a sedan and a HB Yaris, I then drove a Corolla CE 5sp and the clutch, interior, road noise, ergonomics of the Corolla blew the Yaris away. Price was only $3k more. It was slightly used vs. the new Yaris.
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 03:28 AM   #6
Registered Member

Consumer Reports actually gave the 2008 Hyundai Accent a higher rating than the 2008 Yaris (I forget the values now and my subscription's up, but it wasn't a bloodbath or anything). Edmund's shows a lower TCO for the 2009 models as well (within their set assumptions, of course). $29,030 vs $27,874, so really they're darned close to each other. Of course they show a better TCO for the Aveo than both, but that just shows the limits of a 5 year TCO comparison, I suspect (CR did not like the Aveo at all). No ratings on a new 1994 VX, unfortunately.

I don't get insurance on my cars (since I can afford to replace them), but I still count the insurance cost in the TCO, since I'm assuming the risk and that's worth something!

co de pen den cy

Old 04-10-2009, 03:41 AM   #7
Registered Member

I had a Accent once. It needed new front brake discs. They were integrated into the hub, a $60 job on most cars was over $1k for the Accent. I took it to the JY as it was totalled. At that time the Accent was a throw away car. Don't know about the new models, but they lost my trust.

As far as Consumer Reports, they aren't really drivers/auto enthusiasts. They are a big part of the blame for the bloated curb weights cars suffer from today. They also seem to focus on initial quality and asthetics, rather than long term engineering. I find that autoxers, dragsters, fuel efficiency gurus, etc all share a common thread that Consumer Reports lacks.

I took a gamble because I have a suspicion that the Toyota Racing suspension offered for the Yaris will transform it to handle like our old beloved Hondas. Around here if you have a car that can handle curves well you use the brakes less and it really impacts MPG. I'll report on the TRD suspension upgrade in a couple weeks, the good thing about this suspension is it is made by Toyota and does not interfere with the warranty.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:48 AM   #8
Registered Member

What year was that? Heard horrible things about older ones.

CR definitely does focus too much on initial quality. They complained about the central console. I couldn't care less about handling or anything, myself. You definitely have to look at the individual category ratings and read their reviews and adjust for your priorities. I still would've gotten the Yaris had I been able to.

co de pen den cy

Old 04-10-2009, 03:53 AM   #9
Registered Member

Yes even the 5 year empiracle studies that they do really just scratch the surface. A well designed and built car should last 30 years minimum. A lot of their 5 year superstars will self implode after 6 years. I plan on keeping the Yaris a long time. There was a guy on you-tube that is up to 300,0000 miles on his Yaris, all he has done is oil changes, filters, and tires. Even the brakes are original. When I watched that I was sold.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:01 AM   #10
Registered Member

If it weren't for the long warranty (mine's 100k/10 yrs for everything, not just the 60k/6 it usually comes with) I wouldn't have gotten an Accent. My reservations nudged the salesman to up it. Normally only the powertrain has 100k/10. Given how much I drive, I'm covered until 2018. Most likely I'll have gotten rid of it before then.

CR really liked the Honda Fit, BTW. I agree about its micro-van flavor.

co de pen den cy