VX exhaust manifold unique - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2011, 02:23 PM   #21
Registered Member

Re: VX exhaust manifold unique

So I can use a 96+ civic lx or dx manifold? My 92 VX manifold is cracked too.

hmong337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:12 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
So I can use a 96+ civic lx or dx manifold? My 92 VX manifold is cracked too.
IF it fits, i would not use one--they're gonna have the same flaw. just patch it, or buy it aftermarket new. advance auto parts has some great coupons right now...$50 off $150 or $200, if it's still active. retailmenot.com has the codes.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:25 PM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
IF it fits, i would not use one--they're gonna have the same flaw. just patch it, or buy it aftermarket new. advance auto parts has some great coupons right now...$50 off $150 or $200, if it's still active. retailmenot.com has the codes.
yeah, I'm thinking of fixing mine, but first I have to take it off, and I've never done that before.. JBweld is suppose to work pretty well but this crack IS where the o2 sensor meets.. I have no idea how it will turn out. If I could only be certain that a 2001+ maniverter would work on these cars without modification. The 2001+ maniverters are stainless steel.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:46 PM   #24
Registered Member

This car is my beater car... I seriously don't want to put much money into it. The body is pretty shot.

Anybody know of any aftermarket headers what will work with the VX? I think I'm just gonna get an ebay cheapy for $30.

As long as I get 40+mpg, I'll be happy... It currently get's 42mpg with a bad cracked manifold and possibly dying o2.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:29 PM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
This car is my beater car... I seriously don't want to put much money into it. The body is pretty shot.

Anybody know of any aftermarket headers what will work with the VX? I think I'm just gonna get an ebay cheapy for $30.

As long as I get 40+mpg, I'll be happy... It currently get's 42mpg with a bad cracked manifold and possibly dying o2.
yeah since the manifold is separate from the cat on the VX, you might just get a manifold unlike me who has to get an entire catalytic converter despite it working fine aside from the crack.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:21 AM   #26
Registered Member

how much will my FE be affected by using tube headers? the o2 bung will not be seeing from all 4 exhaust ports.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
how much will my FE be affected by using tube headers? the o2 bung will not be seeing from all 4 exhaust ports.
I don't think you can use your existing catalytic converter with headers.. You'd have to get a cat that is compatible with headers.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
I don't think you can use your existing catalytic converter with headers.. You'd have to get a cat that is compatible with headers.
I know that. I will have to install one downstream.

$40 headers
$50 cat
$50 install

Still cheaper than a cast unit from a 96-00 that won't properly fit my oil-dip-stick.

Still didn't find an answer to this though...
Old 04-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
I know that. I will have to install one downstream.

$40 headers
$50 cat
$50 install

Still cheaper than a cast unit from a 96-00 that won't properly fit my oil-dip-stick.

Still didn't find an answer to this though...
Though your car might be more likely to fail smog. The reason Honda put the catalytic converter near the engine wasn't to pass emissions when it was new, it was to make sure the car wouldn't fail emissions by the 100K mile mark. Most cars even with the most screwy of setups (imagine a catalytic converter that was mounted where the muffler would be!) will pass emissions in a brand new car... The reason why they moved the cat from the mid section of the car to the front is because a cat that gets nice and hot is one that works more efficiently and so, over time, despite the catalyst efficiency dropping due to age and being tainted, because of the ideal location, the car is still highly likely to pass emissions. Had the cat been down steam, like in place of the muffler, while the car would pass emissions when new, because it's on the border line, when the car ages a little bit, it'll fail..

So to conclude, it's really a good idea to stick with a setup that is close to stock especially with a lean-burn civic because otherwise your car may be failing smog sooner than you think. This is also why lean-burn was disabled for California civics, not because it'd fail smog when new, but would likely fail smog before the 150K mark which means warranty claims. Most automotive design is based upon making sure the car lasts the duration of the warranty period.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #30
Registered Member

okay. so can i use a good condition 96-00 dx/lx exhaust manifold without any problems? will i still be able to use my oil dipstick?