VX OBDI to OBDII Swap questions/troubles inside - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch View Post
^^ what he said. You can also try removing a plug wire, stick a screwdriver into the end, and hold the screwdriver (wear electrician's gloves) just off the block. check for spark while turning the engine over.
Or, for convenience and safety, you could blow five bucks on a spark plug tester. It really is worth the price of a couple cups of coffee.
Inline Ignition Spark Checker

Old 10-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #12
Registered Member

Didn't know they had those. I must be old-fashioned.

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I thought the old-fashioned way was to use an actual spark plug, not to simulate one with a screwdriver...that's how I did it before I got the tester.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
Registered Member

On Hondas, the plugs are easy to get to. On my old truck, I would rather risk the shock than try to get the !@#$ plugs out one by one.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #15
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I thought the old-fashioned way was to use an actual spark plug, not to simulate one with a screwdriver...that's how I did it before I got the tester.

Yeah, my dad has had one of those in his tool box as long as I can remember. Its a spark plug with 6 inches of 14 gauge wire attached to the threads, with an alligator clip on the other end. Dad just clipped it to a good ground on the engine block, plug a plug wire into it, and turn the engine over, watch for spark.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #16
Registered Member

I might have left it out of my original post but I have good spark, good fuel pressure and my mechanical timing is perfect. I also have a near perfect leak down and compression at room temp is almost as good as my daily at operating temperature.

I'm 99% sure it's something ecu related. I took out the DX Harness and got a hx harness and converted it to obd1. Now I'm just waiting on a OBD2B-obd1 jumper harness. I have like 5 or 6 jumper harnesses but they are all obd2a... I should know here soon. If it's not running by next week I'll be sad. Also, my tuner is coming Tuesday and this is literally all he does so he'll see what he can do along with getting a nice eco tune. I'm just trying to get as many swaps done before he gets here as I can so I can just copy and paste the tune and have him make a few small changes whiles he's at the shop. I also want to get the t25/14b turbo d15b running to get some stupid high mpgs running a pound of hot air. But until then I'll just wait and finish up the turbo kit on the vette.
rb26dett32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:16 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch View Post
On Hondas, the plugs are easy to get to. On my old truck, I would rather risk the shock than try to get the !@#$ plugs out one by one.
You don't have to take the plug out, just use another plug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb26dett32 View Post
I might have left it out of my original post but I have good spark, good fuel pressure and my mechanical timing is perfect. I also have a near perfect leak down and compression at room temp is almost as good as my daily at operating temperature.

I'm 99% sure it's something ecu related.
To follow up on the basic troubleshooting (since nobody is posting answers for the OBD troubleshooting): Are you sure the injectors are firing? If you can pull one and run it outside you can see if it sprays. With less certainty you can use a mechanic's stethoscope (or a dowel/screwdriver conducting sound to your ear) to listen for it clicking (but that won't tell you if it's clogged), and with less certainty than that you can use a meter to check for power going to them (but that neither tells you if they've failed nor if they're clogged).
Old 10-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
You don't have to take the plug out, just use another plug.

To follow up on the basic troubleshooting (since nobody is posting answers for the OBD troubleshooting): Are you sure the injectors are firing? If you can pull one and run it outside you can see if it sprays. With less certainty you can use a mechanic's stethoscope (or a dowel/screwdriver conducting sound to your ear) to listen for it clicking (but that won't tell you if it's clogged), and with less certainty than that you can use a meter to check for power going to them (but that neither tells you if they've failed nor if they're clogged).
I've checked voltage to each injector and also used my efi probe and it's clicking away like normal. I also took the injectors out and put them in a running car and they worked so I've completely ruled them out for now. Just waiting on the new jumper harness now.

Anyone have any idea where I can find a diagram for the emissions lines and vacuum lines?

Thanks.
rb26dett32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #19
Registered Member

There's a bunch of links for Honda manuals and diagrams that may include some VX material in my meta-sig:
http://www.gassavers.org/f14/theholy...tuff-8959.html
Old 10-14-2012, 04:59 AM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
The injectors can be perfect but if the ecu is not firing them then you get no gas ... that's by I recommended the propane injection.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote