vx owner wants more mpg! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-15-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
Registered Member

vx owner wants more mpg!

well a cx to vx converted owner wants more mpg!. i have had the vx swap in for almost 600 miles now and i get around 44 mpg mainly city driveing. and that is driving with a lot of angry people behind me shifting below 2500rpms coasting down hills. 55psi in the tires with vx wheels and the intake turned to the radiator.
I try my best to stay in lean mode at all times. and driving like there is a egg under the gas pedal. call it greed but i want more i want to break 50mpg so bad!. should i turn the car off at lights and restart when green? should i shut it down coasting? and restart? i am willing to try just about anything except crazy aero mods besides a grill block thats on my to do list. thanks in advance!

silversol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:43 PM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversol View Post
should i turn the car off at lights and restart when green? should i shut it down coasting? and restart? i am willing to try just about anything except crazy aero mods besides a grill block thats on my to do list. thanks in advance!
I turn off my engine ('95 Civic DX hatchback) at all red lights that are 10 seconds or longer. I also do engine off coasting at EVERY opportunity. I do a mix of highway and very light city and/or secondary roads (w/ few traffic lights) driving. I'm certain the engine off coasting and shutting off the engine at traffic lights makes a big difference. I did not do this often when I first bought the car 1.5 years ago, but it's been my standard hypermiling techniques for the past several months. Look at my mileage entries. I'll bet you can break 50 mpg w/ your much more economical VX by using these techniques, even if most of your driving is in the city.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
Registered Member

50 mpg/city, you will get that with a hybrid, 44 mpg in city with a VX is exelent.
Do some highway, or travel less if 44mpg is not enough.
GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
Registered Member

most of my driving is 75% atlanta city driving 25% hwy. i am going to try shutting it off and lights and coasting and compression starting when coasting. 44 mpg is ok. but i see several vx owners claiming as much as 55mpg!
Old 09-15-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
Registered Member

cems70 are you really getting 56.49 mpg out of a dx!! slaps forhead! what am i doing wrong!
Old 09-15-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
Registered Member

I've really never seen any VX owners claim over mid-40s for city driving.

The VX doesn't have the best gearing for city driving I don't think. The best I have ever gotten on non-highway driving in my VX is lately when I've gotten 43 mpg in the heat of summer and going right around the speed limit.

Good luck with it!

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:15 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
Increasing power increases your city mpg. But just about anything you do to attempt to increase power in a VX does more harm than good. A turbo and a recalibrated ECU would be your best bet, but it would be a costly conversion not likely to ever pay for itself. Still, in theory, you'd be naturally aspirated 90% of the time, but the boost would be there when you need it and could help you get up to cruising speed quicker. Then back off the throttle and the load will drop back down again.

Nothing wastes gas more than going up a steep hill with a weak engine.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:26 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspendedhatch View Post
Increasing power increases your city mpg. But just about anything you do to attempt to increase power in a VX does more harm than good. A turbo and a recalibrated ECU would be your best bet, but it would be a costly conversion not likely to ever pay for itself. Still, in theory, you'd be naturally aspirated 90% of the time, but the boost would be there when you need it and could help you get up to cruising speed quicker. Then back off the throttle and the load will drop back down again.

Nothing wastes gas more than going up a steep hill with a weak engine.
i too have thought of the turbo idea. and yes hills just kill my vx. i built a turbo gsr delsol a few years ago that made great power. i was thinking of a very small turbo like a tdo4 and only having the boost set a 3psi 4 max! and keeping the stock ecu i dont think with that small a turbo and that psi could hurt much. but what i was thinking was about the heat i know that heat will increase mpg either not intercooling or running a very small intercooler.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:26 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversol View Post
cems70 are you really getting 56.49 mpg out of a dx!! slaps forhead! what am i doing wrong!
I swapped the DX tranny for a VX tranny not long after I bought the car. That change alone gets me to about 46 -48 mpg. Driving 55 mph or less on the highway gets me to about 50 - 52 mpg. My hypermiling (EOC, turn off engine at stop lights etc.) gets me to 56.49 mpg.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:16 AM   #10
Registered Member

ok guys i am doing something seriously wrong! i just filled up and i got 35 mpg this tank!!!!! and that is driving very slow shifting a 2500! and some eoc! god what am i do in wrong!!!