VX resurection - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question VX resurection

I recently found my first Vx. It was owned by the same family since new but not maintained very well. It appears to be completly stock but with some running problems. The car is running good now. I am in south Alabama and it is still in the 90s here so most driving includes A/C and I average around 35 mpg. I expected more as I also have an 88 DX with 450k miles on it and I get around 40 mpg. Here is what I have done and ANY advise or suggestions would be appreciated!!
New and correct plugs and wires.
Plugs are burning very clean.
New and correct NGK o2 sensor.
Set timing to specs.
Cleaned ERG valve.
Cleaned throttle body.
Adjusted valves to specs.
Adjusted throttle cable. It was too tight not letting the door close.
The ecu is correct for the car and appears to be origional (AOO) Federal.
The car was made in Canada according to the local dealership.
The car has the origional 8 spoke VX wheels.
The tranny appears to be correct. 1700 rpms at 70 mph in fifth gear.
It has 250k miles on the car and good compression on all tubes.
No vacuuum leaks can be detected.
PVC is clear and open.
TSP appears to be working.
Shift light works
No Codes.
The car runs great most of the time. Some days when it is really hot in the midday, it will show signs of bucking or hesitating in second and third gear when driving in the city. I cannot seem to figure that one out. Take it out on the highway and it is smooth as silk.
I have not changed the injectors but I am considering it. Any suggestions about that?
What have I overlooked? Why does this car only get 35mpg? I drive 70 on the the highway and do not push the car. Is that too fast?
I know you guys have some answers for me as I have read many threads and I want to thank you in advance for your help. Charley

GasSavers_Charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
Registered Member

Re: VX resurection

At 70 mph with A/C on I get about 40 mpg so you're not too far off what you should be achieving.

How does the tread wear look on the tires? What is the tire pressure? The 5th gen Civic hatchback rear suspension develops inward camber after the bushings wear out. Check the camber with a bubble level directly on the OEM Enkei VX wheels. You should have 0 degrees of camber. You can use the flat washer trick to correct the camber to 0 degrees if you need to - I did.

You should not need new injectors. Most times, misfire and hesitation problems are caused by the ignition system.

Check that the brakes aren't dragging - that's difficult to judge sometimes.

jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziasman View Post
Check that the brakes aren't dragging - that's difficult to judge sometimes.
Would it suffice to jack the car, spin a wheel, and see if it stops quickly? How long should it keep spinning?
Old 09-20-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
Site Team / Moderator

I had a brake dragging on Rusty when I put him back on the road. I ended up jacking up the wheels and spinning them one by one. One of the front wheels was hard to spin by hand, and would not stay spinning once I let go of it. After new calipers & brake hoses it was fixed.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #5
Registered Member

How much hesitation? because when the lean burn mode switch on, it may hesiste, but just a litle and if you accelerate or let go the gas, it should stop.
GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
Registered Member

My hesitation may be better described as bucking. It occurs at low rpm, in city traffic. It is almost like I am lugging the engine but that is not the case as I am carefully watching it. It seems to happen most in second and third gears... even when slightly accelerating. Strong accleration stops it. My car is at the dealership today getting WARRANTY work. They are replacing the seat belt and if anyone does not know it Honda warranties seat belt for the life of the car. Thanks for your help.
GasSavers_Charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Cleaned ERG valve.
The tranny appears to be correct. 1700 rpms at 70 mph in fifth gear.
TSP appears to be working.
Hi I also just got a little VX. I wanted to know where the ERG valve was located so that way I could clean mine too. Also, what?s the TSP, and how do I check to see if it?s working?
Finally... Holly crap my VX doesn't have nearly the RPMs that yours does. Closer to 2500 rpms at 73 mph. What are your RPMs at 55 MPH? 1000-1200rpms? I?m at 1500rpms @ 60mph

Thanks!
GasSavers_1stHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #8
Registered Member

A VX in 5th at 70-75 mph should be turning about 2300-2500 RPM.

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote