VX vs. Insight? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2007, 09:09 AM   #21
Supporting Member

You know where I stand on this subject. I think the civic is an excellent idea. I would spend a little more money and find a clean unmolested, rust free example if I were shopping for one. The CX or VX would work just fine being that your town mileage is going to be similar. It may take a little time to find one so I would locate a loaner to get you by when the Fit sells. Or maybe you could get the frankincivic limping. I would definately hold out for a "keeper". I will also assist you with any purchase in the my area. Whole heartedly!

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:20 AM   #22
Supporting Member

what about ?

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/car/441862064.html

this is probly gone by now
http://boise.craigslist.org/car/436401401.html

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:21 AM   #23
Supporting Member

I'd say the VX is the way to go. And seeing as how rare they are I don't think one should even mention it like just a '16 year old car'. It's a VX and if it's in decent condition very much worth $2600, also proven by your own calculations of how much it'll save you. I'm all for buying a car that you can afford without needing to pay it off anyway since I hate paying interest (talk about a waste of money).
There's also excellent VX support here. Yep...VX!
McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:57 AM   #24
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPatrick View Post
I'd say the VX is the way to go. And seeing as how rare they are I don't think one should even mention it like just a '16 year old car'. It's a VX and if it's in decent condition very much worth $2600, also proven by your own calculations of how much it'll save you. I'm all for buying a car that you can afford without needing to pay it off anyway since I hate paying interest (talk about a waste of money).
There's also excellent VX support here. Yep...VX!
And honestly... I'm much more likely to "hack" a VX than I am an insight... rear wheel covers, etc.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:04 AM   #25
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Heretic! You almost sound... European!

Surely what you meant to say was: "clearly I now need a full size minivan or 5000lb SUV"
Blasphemer!
:grin:
What I need is this:
Himarc Ford F650 Dominator

Not dominating enough for you yet? Beef it up with the available Caterpillar 7.2L Turbo Diesel rated at 300hp and an astounding 860lb-ft of torque. Upgrade your wheels to the 24 1/2" package and there won't be another truck on the road that compares.

Although I can't find the fuel consumption of it, I shouldn't have a problem with the size of the tanks.

Maybe this Dominator could be a possibility for your next vehicle, Matt? I keed, I keed!

On a serious side note though, I'm limited on the sizes of my vehicles due to overhanging bikes in my garage. If I get a 96+ civic, I'd have to lower it 2 inches just to fit, lol.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:10 AM   #26
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion View Post
And honestly... I'm much more likely to "hack" a VX than I am an insight... rear wheel covers, etc.
Don't you dare hack up an insight by adding rear wheel covers.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:26 AM   #27
Registered Member

I would have chosen the vx. if you drive mostly highway, the insight isnt that much better off than the vx.

a co worker of mines drives 70 miles back and fourth to work, he used to have a 91 crx hf, and traded it for a 01 insight. both 5 speed. his crx got 50 mpg highway, while the insight gotten around 60. for that 10 mpg difference, he spent 10 grand to get that insight, which probably would take a while to break even compared to not selling the hf.

anyways im the type of guy that likes older cars, just the fact that i can pay only libailty insurance on it, if i get a parking ding or door ding, i really dont care as much. i used to have a newer car and i got a ding, my heart broke . also the vx can seat 4 people (5 if you add the seatbelts to the middle of the backseat), and haul alot more stuff than the insight
civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:00 PM   #28
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
I would have chosen the vx. if you drive mostly highway, the insight isnt that much better off than the vx.

a co worker of mines drives 70 miles back and fourth to work, he used to have a 91 crx hf, and traded it for a 01 insight. both 5 speed. his crx got 50 mpg highway, while the insight gotten around 60. for that 10 mpg difference, he spent 10 grand to get that insight, which probably would take a while to break even compared to not selling the hf.

anyways im the type of guy that likes older cars, just the fact that i can pay only libailty insurance on it, if i get a parking ding or door ding, i really dont care as much. i used to have a newer car and i got a ding, my heart broke . also the vx can seat 4 people (5 if you add the seatbelts to the middle of the backseat), and haul alot more stuff than the insight
All very reasonable considerations. I already have a scratch on my Fit, and i was really upset about it. Dent on the vx? Who cares.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:45 PM   #29
Registered Member

Red face VX beats the Insight but will be (a lot) more work

Good decision, Matt.....if you just love to work on elderly cars!

My 92 VX just needed its clutch master cylinder replaced. I bought a used OEM clutch master cylinder from a 95 DelSol off ebay for $9 shipped. It seems I'm always working on my VX since it has 166K miles now.

My little red VX looks like a beater but isn't. But, since I use it for the work commute mostly so I don't need to worry about impressing the 'babes on the way or do I?

I've done a lot of work on it the past two years but nothing major except for the clutch and transmission mainshaft bearing. I only paid $1500 for mine two years ago so it wasn't a bad deal.

Make sure the a/c works good. Hopefully it has already been retrofitted to R134. Does it get hot in Salt Lake City? ha ha

You are taking a chance paying $2600 for that VX though. Since you've owned Hondas in the past you should know what they sound and drive like and will not miss the obvious flaws the average buyer would. And...I would not want to travel so far for one either.
jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:58 PM   #30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
VX, me boy.

Though there's no guarantee that it won't also have gremlins like the FrankenCivic.

And BTW, the Insight's fuel economy potential is much greater in city driving than on the highway. It's a flat out P&G monster, if that style of driving is your cup of tea.

Also worth noting that if your driving is mostly sub/urban, the VX may not get you much better MPG than a CX, since the VX is all about lean burn at cruise.
EXACT, GOOOOD point on the fact that hybrid are the best in city, but on the highway, if you do 80 to 90 % highway, a hybrid DOES NOT WORTH it cause the difference with a Yaris, a VX, a Metro, etc, is so small.

BUT, the MPG is better for a hybrid in city than on the highway, so that is kind of incredible, so if you do city or TRAFIC, I would JUMP on that hybrid cause the difference is huge between a hybrid and a gasoline engine.

GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote