warm air intake is in - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2008, 05:15 AM   #11
Registered Member

with my scangauge, I am seeing 190s and usually it runs between 188 and 192. it is pretty tight as far as the temps go. the cheese meter on the dash almost always says 195 which is straight up and down for me. If i am sitting in a bank drive through, it will get hot enough to cut on the fan. I haven't done that one in a while.

I say monitor your temps and go with the flow.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:17 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
I drove about 60 miles non-stop yesterday and got up to FWT 224 degrees with the IAT up to 177 degrees. The coolant temps did go back down once the fan kicked in. Without anything blocking the underside,like mine, you should be okay.

Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:07 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
This is a completely foreign idea to me. A hot air intake... I mean besides the factory tube...

Doesn't your engine ping? Wouldn't it be better to put an air restrictor plate in? I guess "simple" depends on whether you're MAF or speed/density.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #14
Registered Member

the way that I understand it (and this may be wrong) is that it takes more throttle to give you the same power because of the less dense air which doesn't matter as far as fuel consumption but when you have not throttle (like going down a hill) it is using less fuel because it is putting just enough fuel to burn the oxygen in the air coming in. which is regulated by the O2 sensor.

this theory makes sense but I still am not sure if it is true. it would take someone with way more education than myself to really explain what is going on.

another person on here said that the only way that it would sufficiently work is if your car was overpowered. I think my car is slightly overpowered for its weight. there are cars out there with 100hp and 85hp that are about the same size so I am sure I could get away with less power.

in the end, until someone can tell me that it is bad for it, I am going to keep doing it because I am seeing about 2-3mpg better with just a $10 mod. not too shabby. that is about 1% per dollar. that is great.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #15
Registered Member

whatever lovemysan says... do it.

go look at pics of his car... and prepare to be blown away w/ his mileage.... at least I am!

He is the inspiration for me to not give up on my Saturn.
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #16
Registered Member

My car has not pinged the first time. On the prior mentioned 60 mile trip,where my temps were as high as I've seen so far, I averaged 42.8mpg and a couple hours later I averaged over 40mpg coming back a different way, doing pulse and glide between 60 and 75mph. This helped bring the tank average up to 37mpg with 400miles so far per ScanGauge. I use 93 octane, I don't know if that makes any difference other than keeping the motor cleaner.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:34 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project84 View Post
whatever lovemysan says... do it.

go look at pics of his car... and prepare to be blown away w/ his mileage.... at least I am!

He is the inspiration for me to not give up on my Saturn.
Not unless it's cleared by Basjoos
Old 05-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #18
Registered Member

The warm air intake changes several things.

It allows for better fuel distribution in the incoming air charge, potentially 25%increase in efficiency if it could achieve HCCI type distribution.

By recirculating heat it makes the engine run slightly hotter, which will cause the thermostat to open more and reduce the restriction to the flow of coolant and reduce the amount of energy it takes to drive the water pump.

The volume of the air is the same, although the mass is different. I think the highest recorded temp in the US is 137 degrees in Phoenix. The system should be designed to handle this high temp with some reserve. I can't prove this but I like the idea of using the hot coolant area at the top of the radiator, because it is basically at the same temp regardless of outside temps.

With 62% of the fuels heat energy lost through heat, recycling the heat recovers some percentage of total losses, and If it's only 1% that is a significant amount when you consider the average is only 18% give or take. 1 % may not seem like much, but 1/18 is more like 6%.

regards
gary
Old 05-07-2008, 06:11 PM   #19
Registered Member

Would this work with an AMM instead of MAF? Safe to use on an AMM?

My car has a Bosch AMM (air mass meter), not maf.
It uses a heated platinum wire. "As intake air entering the meter housing cools the wire, the variations in electrical current needed to maintain the wire's temperature are converted into an air mass signal that is sent to the ECU. Comments?

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:37 AM   #20
Registered Member

to my knowledge, I don't have a MAF sensor. usually it is inline on the intake somewhere right? I have heard people say that they did a WAI and got no noticeable gains from it, but I have never heard anyone say that it hurt the engine. for a $10 investment, you won't lose a lot if it doesn't work. I would give it a try if I were you. that is just my opinion. I would definitely try to rig up something so that you can keep an eye on the temps though. lovemysan has rigged up an kitchen thermometer (I think it was him) he has pics in his website.