water4gas discussion? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-28-2007, 07:47 AM   #1
Registered Member

water4gas discussion?

First of all, Sorry... I'm sure this is a repost.

There is an ad here that I got curious about and now I'd like to hear from the rest of you.

www.water4gas.com

I've heard of water injection and what not, but lets open a discussion about this item, I'd like to hear what everyone thinks of it and the practicality and possibly FE improvements.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...34250583325882

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
Registered Member

Water vapor does help. The whole steam expanding thing. I mean, what ruled railroad before cars were even viable? Steam. I would not expect to double FE, and I would certainly not pay much for it. Water Injection has been around since before most of us here. Also the website itself makes it look like a scam.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:18 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
It looks like a brown gas generator. Basically it uses electrolysis to separate water into hydrogen gas and oxygen gas, which is then either pumped or sucked into your intake and then burned. Any increase you see is the result of that gas. It does take a fair amount of power to split a water molecule, so there is no free lunch.

There have been a few threads about such systems discussed here in the past. You'll find quite a bit of info on the topic.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:09 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
It looks like a brown gas generator. Basically it uses electrolysis to separate water into hydrogen gas and oxygen gas, which is then either pumped or sucked into your intake and then burned. Any increase you see is the result of that gas. It does take a fair amount of power to split a water molecule, so there is no free lunch.

And guess what? No process is perfect. So it is probably going to take more usable energy to split the water than you are going to get back. And as for water injection, this is not going to give better fuel economy, at least not alone. The chief purpose of water injection is to reduce detonation. This allows you to run an increased compression ratio without needing more expensive, higher octane gas - especially on engines that are turbocharged or supercharged. But if your engine already runs fine on 87 octane, and if you have NO intentions of increasing compression, then it is of NO value whatsoever.
StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:05 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
And guess what? No process is perfect. So it is probably going to take more usable energy to split the water than you are going to get back.
Matt are you talking about battery drain?

does this concept work or not?
anyone?
severedgein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #6
Registered Member

Sorry but the laws of physics simply mean there is a negative outcome to the energy equation : It take more energy to produce hydrogen by electrolysis then you get from burning the end product.

Water injection is a different idea. Originally for high boost aircraft engines the water acts as a detonation suppressant as mentioned above.
It also helps cool the incoming fuel / air mix which can add a measure of performance.

By the way Sir Harry Ricardo wrote about this some time in the 1920's so it isn't new.

Pete.
GasSavers_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:16 AM   #7
Registered Member

where is the power loss though, battery or engine itself? if its battery, then you can simply recharge and reap the benefits of better milage. if it simply does not provide better milage, that's a completely different story.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:44 AM   #8
Registered Member

H generators work...but getting a decent amount of gas for the energy used is an issue. Also you need to over ride the mixture control system to see some decent mileage gains.

This isn't an area I would try to start from scratch with. And there are some poor H generators out there that they will sell you.

This group might have the answer?

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/workingwatercar/

I've seen reviews of the various H gen systems for sale...do some searching?

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo...ogen_Injection

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:51 AM   #9
Registered Member

well, this is relevant to this, and also another issue i'm looking at, but is there a way to monitor and control the voltage sent to the ecu by the exhaust o2 sensor and control that for this situation or others where you necessarily will have a very lean burn and don't want the ecu to compensate?? are there regulators out there with a dial or something similar that could basically be tuned on the fly?