Ways to not make people mad - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-10-2008, 04:55 AM   #1
Registered Member

Ways to not make people mad

Ok as the title suggests i want to know ways to not make poeple mad when i am hypermiling. I seem to get alot of angry people fly by me and flick me off cause i am going 55 in the 70 posted speed limit. What do you guys suggest i mean i dont want to turn my hazards on but i do want to keep driving this way. Help me out im tired of getting flicked off and yelled at lol im pretty much waiting fof one of them to try to run me off the road. Sorry if someone already posted something about this i tried to search the forums and it didnt come up with anything...

Old 09-10-2008, 05:05 AM   #2

If you are impeding traffic and causing a backup while going that slow in a 70 zone, you're gonna get flipped off no matter what.

Some of this you can alleviate by maybe going 60-ish. Other of it is not impeding traffic in places they cannot pass you. Or, you could grow a thicker skin.

On the other hand, some of it is simply the impatience and rudeness of the other drivers. Can't do much about that one...

Stay right, let people pass, and don't be a major obstruction.

Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:09 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Loserkidwac
Hey, someone posted a thread about a sticker a group was making that you can put on the back of your vehicle to notify people you are hypermiling...At least hoping that they might see it and understand or at least to educate people...let me look for the thread, they are free I ordered on waiting for it still...

Edit:
Here is the thread on hereThanks Ford Man)
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=8797

Here is the site for the Decal:
http://lawfulhypermiling.org/

I plan to stick the Decal to a magnet and then slapping that to the back of my car so it isn't permanent, I think its better then nothing!

03 Mazdaspeed Protege
91 Honda CRX Si
95 Honda Civic VX *RIP 5/20/08
94 Honda Del Slow D15z1 Swapped
Loserkidwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:21 AM   #4
Registered Member

oh ok sweet the sticker is a good idea and about the impeding traffic ill be in the right lane and people can pass but some will ride my bumper for a while and then pass and act all pissed off... but yesterday i got someone that followed me and did what i did. I guess they figured out what i was doing and they tried it lol
Old 09-10-2008, 06:24 AM   #5
Registered Member

ok just orderd the sticker thanks for the link i hope that helps
Old 09-10-2008, 06:29 AM   #6
Registered Member

If the traffic is that heavy, I just find a big rig going 65ish and draft it at 3 stripes (about 125 feet) behind. Go with the flow of traffic and your mileage will be about the same as 55 with no draft.

Some people start doing very stupid things when you dare to get in their way on a highway. To me the danger level with such stupidity is not worth the small benefit (actually I dont think there is any benefit)

Moving with the flow of traffic is essential to safe driving when the level of traffic reaches the saturation point.

regards
gary
Old 09-10-2008, 06:58 AM   #7
Registered Member

Fortunately the vast majority of my driving is in town (4 lanes, stop and go) or I-35 with 4+ lanes of high speed traffic. In town, I can hypermile while keeping up with most traffic fairly easily, since everyone has to stop for the lights anyways. On I-35, I aim for a bigrig doing 60 and draft at a safe distance. I did this in someone's supercharged minicooper a while back going from Austin Tx to Dallas, got *almost* 40mpg. She normally gets about 32mpg hwy. I also showed her how to exceed 30mpg in town where she normally got about 16, but since her dad pays for most of her gas, she drives however she likes. -_-
Dalez0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:12 AM   #8
Site Team / Moderator

That's always the best way to do it. Find a truck going your ideal speed and follow them.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:43 AM   #9
Registered Member

Ignore them. Or do what I do, give them a big smile as they pass. I'm a pretty spiteful hypermiler so when they get pissed, I know I'm doing a good job. People think they own the road, but we share the road.

But I do stay in the rightmost lane. I'll occasionally flip my rear-view mirror up so I don't see the person behind me highbeaming me.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:53 AM   #10
Registered Member

Yeah lol i got these aviator sunglasses now (so it makes me look like a douchbag) and i smile at them too as they go by. It makes them morre angry haha