Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2007, 08:00 PM   #11
Supporting Member

Mentalic -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalic View Post
I'm hoping for a re-flash upgrade... Having to send it back would really suk! I've only had mine three months but driving without it would be terrible.
Ha ha, I sleep with mine.

JUST KIDDING

(?!?!?!?!?!?)

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:49 AM   #12
Registered Member

One of the amazing things I learned yesterday was that it's way better for FE to go 25-30 MPH in 4th gear on flat ground (one route option) than to go 55 MPH up and down hills (another route option). I had no idea I could get 45+ MPG going 25-30, and I had been avoiding the "in-town" route because I had assumed it would kill FE.

Team: Right Lane Rollers
Jim Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:39 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalic View Post
I've read my manual front to back and don't see anything about setting up "Trip" data to display as one of the four displays when in "gauge" mode. If theres a way I'd like to know! Maybe its a feature introduced with newer firmware?
I must be lucky. I got my SG this last friday, Firmware is version 3.14 (pi!). I was able to create a Distance to Empty and a current trip MPG gauge quite easily. Instructions start on page 28 of the manual I have.
GasSavers_theCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:41 AM   #14
Registered Member

How easy is it to move the ScanGauge from car to car. I mean I know you can have an extra OBD cable so the physical move is easy but what about the unit, can you program multiple vehicles in it (I have 3) and every time it powers up I can just hit a button to enable vehicle 1, 2, or 3?
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:08 AM   #15
Registered Member

No, you would have to enter each vehicle's specifics each time you move it.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:15 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan View Post
Eww! I'll bet they want to keep the scangauge at least overnight. We're still on our honeymoon tho! LOL
Given the extra features, the solution is rather simple. Buy the new one, get a short RJ45 patch cable to connect the two gauges and then monitor 8 things! ;-)

You can get the other one reflashed later at your convenience.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:40 AM   #17
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dunlop View Post
One of the amazing things I learned yesterday was that it's way better for FE to go 25-30 MPH in 4th gear on flat ground (one route option) than to go 55 MPH up and down hills (another route option). I had no idea I could get 45+ MPG going 25-30, and I had been avoiding the "in-town" route because I had assumed it would kill FE.

You should upshift to 5th between 25-30mph. You should be able to maintain 65mpg at around 30-35mph. You'll get used to using the engine in lower rpms. You have to feather pedal up hills and then accel down. I generally run 30mph around town using EOC's I can get 55-60mpg two way averages starting with cold engine.

Do not listen to the people over at saturnfans about lugging the engine. It doesn't hurt anything and you mileage WILL improve. What weight oil are you running. I'm currently using 0w30 mobil1. You could at least try 5w20. Now that you have the SG your numbers will steadily improve. It will actually be a gradual process to learn max FE.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:31 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan View Post
You should upshift to 5th between 25-30mph. You should be able to maintain 65mpg at around 30-35mph. You'll get used to using the engine in lower rpms. You have to feather pedal up hills and then accel down. I generally run 30mph around town using EOC's I can get 55-60mpg two way averages starting with cold engine.

Do not listen to the people over at saturnfans about lugging the engine. It doesn't hurt anything and you mileage WILL improve. What weight oil are you running. I'm currently using 0w30 mobil1. You could at least try 5w20. Now that you have the SG your numbers will steadily improve. It will actually be a gradual process to learn max FE.
I'm only getting 26-28 out of my 1996 SL2, it's an auto so my options are limited on my ability to control its behavior on hills.
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:17 PM   #19
Registered Member

Thanks for the comments about lugging...yes, I saw the SaturnFans people's admonitions. I've got 5w30 Royal Purple in my crankcase, and I still have about 8 quarts of it to use up over the next 4 months or so.

Team: Right Lane Rollers
Jim Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:27 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popimp View Post
You'll be able to do it once the new firmware comes out. Does anyone know when?
Looks like its out now. Suks too because you have to send it back to be upgraded and there estimate is 4 weeks!

Its free if your ScanGauge was purchased on or after July 20th, 2007 otherwise its $25 (USD) per ScanGauge.