What car would you pick? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Re: What car would you pick?

The 2011 Optima is really nice looking...but that's out of your intended price range (and doesn't really matter much, it's just something I've observed lately).

To get others viewpoints on the advantages/disadvantages of the proposed models in a more meaningful way, I suspect you'll need to find someone who has owned two or more of them.

My vote if you must buy something is the Sonata, but re-reading the thread I see that you already have an Accord that meets most of your specifications; why not sell the truck and put the extra money into leather seats?

Old 06-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #12
Registered Member

Do you have a chance of being upside-down in your truck, since it is only a year old? That might be hard to roll excess funds into a used vehicle.

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:43 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch View Post
Do you have a chance of being upside-down in your truck, since it is only a year old? That might be hard to roll excess funds into a used vehicle.
Yeah, I will most likely be about $1800 upside down in the truck.

But I will be selling a 1999 Honda Civic (manual) that should cover that.

BTW, if anyone is looking for a car that gets 35-40 mpg on the highway I have a 1999 Honda Civic EX manual for sale for $1800.00.
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:23 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
BTW, if anyone is looking for a car that gets 35-40 mpg on the highway I have a 1999 Honda Civic EX manual for sale for $1800.00.
sounds like a great deal if the car is in good shape. why not make IT your DD is my question tho.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #15
Registered Member

i second the suggestion to drive the car many many miles (possibly test drive at different dealers in different terrain/road surfaces, ya know new smooth blacktop VS busted up concrete)especially if you are a big/tall guy. im both categories and do not find riding in my friends 01 corrola (well before it threw a piston out the block with 132K on it) rather uncomfortable, front or back seats, same with the 99 era civic, felt like i was riding on a parkbench and was threatened by the dashboard wailing into my knees at every stop or head hitting the roof on bumps. (hence why i said lumpy as hell street the better)

now my friends i think its an 06 kia spectra it isnt too bad, rides better than the other 2 i mentioned and has pretty good front seat room but backseat is a little to be desired but not terrible(not like a mustangs backseat haha)

i know the cars i mentioned are way off from what you want but dont let the new car smell cloud your judgement :P and always sleep on it at least 2 days to make sure thats the car you want
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:17 AM   #16
Registered Member

Well I pulled the trigger this weekend. I traded my 2010 F150 for a 2008 Honda Accord auto with 41,000 miles on it.
I'm going to have buy a scanguage to check my mpg consistently but I did air up the tires to 40 psig. Sidewall max press rating is 50 psig.
It's rated at 21 City and 31 Highway. Has anyone with an Accord beat these numbers?
Old 07-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #17
Registered Member

i've averaged just over 30 w/ a mix of 40% city/60 hwy driving in a 4cyl AT accord.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:42 AM   #18
Registered Member

Thanks. That's reassuring. What modifications did you make if any? Or was it just easy driving?
Old 07-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #19
Registered Member

absolutely none, except driving habits. remember, easy driving is not really accurate--moderate acceleration getting to the highest gear possible quickly is best.

tires were 51(max)psi btw. if i remember correctly my epa estimates are lower than yours, so you may be able to achieve well over my numbers!
Old 07-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
remember, easy driving is not really accurate--
Yeah, more like really hard driving, in too high of a gear... But planning ahead and not using the brakes is very important too. Knowing how to use it's DFCO mode to it's maximum advantage is also quite helpful.

Dr. Jerryrigger is offline   Reply With Quote