Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-28-2006, 06:37 PM   #11
Registered Member

Re: If anyone ever has any gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunger
If anyone ever has any gas questions, feel free to ask me. I work for an oil company.
Can you send me some gas?? i doubt they will notice a couple drums of gas
I wish I could! All we get is a $.07 discount... lame.

Old 03-28-2006, 06:46 PM   #12
Registered Member

Re: If anyone ever has any gas

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
Quote:
If anyone ever has any gas questions, feel free to ask me. I work for an oil company.
Can you send me some gas?? i doubt they will notice a couple drums of gas
I wish I could! All we get is a $.07 discount... lame.
That's fukked up. I get more discount with my credit card LMAO.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:41 PM   #13
Registered Member

Influences my Purchase...

I'd say the biggest influence on my gas purchase is how close to "E" I am.

Seriously, I buy QuikTrip because it's a local company, they're almost always the cheapest, and their additives have earned them Tier 1 status. I know it's pretty regionalized, but I they're expanding. The have stations all over here, so it's pretty convenient.

RH77
Old 03-30-2006, 03:45 PM   #14
Registered Member

Re: Influences my Purchase...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
I buy QuikTrip because it's a local company, they're almost always the cheapest, and their additives have earned them Tier 1 status.
Wow, they really got Tier 1... do you know if they are just using some other Tier additive or did they engineer their own? I've always wanted our company to engineer its own additive, but the ROI just isn't worth it.

I don't think most people are very savvy when it comes to their knowledge of gasoline or its additives.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:35 PM   #15
Registered Member

Re: Influences my Purchase...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
I buy QuikTrip because it's a local company, they're almost always the cheapest, and their additives have earned them Tier 1 status.
Wow, they really got Tier 1... do you know if they are just using some other Tier additive or did they engineer their own? I've always wanted our company to engineer its own additive, but the ROI just isn't worth it.

I don't think most people are very savvy when it comes to their knowledge of gasoline or its additives.
Right, for the most part people think "Premium is the good stuff" with the extra additives and the other grades are "whatever". QuikTrip's slogan has always been "Guaranteed Gasoline", and they put the additives in every grade. My wife's family has used them for like 20 years and has never had a fuel-related problem. Now the guarantee is if the gas causes some sort of failure, they'll pay for it, but of course you have to prove that you always use QuikTrip and that the failure was caused by their gasoline -- but still people eat it up. Speaking of eating stuff up, they've also taken the convenience store to the extreme. Inside they have Soda dispensers galore and 99-cent refills in their 40-ounce permenant mug (plus decent coffee with mixable flavors).

I'm not sure of their additive structure, but I'm sure you know the Tier 1 list. Beyond that, I'm one of those people that doesn't know a whole lot about gas contents. I do know that Xylene is basically the basic ingredient to increase the Octane rating, so back in my Evo days, I would mix my own fuel with 87-Octane and some pure Xylene from Sherwin Williams.

I used to go to Sunoco because of the 94 octane available, then Texaco which turned into Shell (all of which aren't Tier 1). On my old Chevy's I always had a rough idle (even after a month of having one brand new) and fuel injection issues (maybe common for the make). My Dad likes Marathon (Ohio company) because they don't add Ethanol or many additives at all.

I'm sure it's company confidential not to reveal your oil company, but lately it seems they might want to re-look into the return on additives, maybe for at least the "Premium" variety.

RH77
Old 03-30-2006, 05:51 PM   #16
Registered Member

I wouldn't want to reveal my

I wouldn't want to reveal my oil company either, IF I worked for one.

The premium does have the good stuff but some cars can't use it due to Direct ignition. Some people that do need it for turbo, or any kind of forced induction just advance the timing at the dealer(Direct Ignition) or if they have a distributor they advance their timing.

Some cars with the right timing and premium gain some hp. I've even heard of altimas getting 6 more hp with premium and advanced timing.

I get my best mileage with 87. Also using premium for a car that was designed for 87 will get a carbon build up. My stock compression should be 178 in all 4 cylenders. I'm at 190 in all 4. This is what happens when you use premium when you're suppose to use regular.

Old 03-30-2006, 05:54 PM   #17
*shrug*

I don't understand what

I don't understand what you're saying about turbos.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:19 AM   #18
Registered Member

when the price is right at

when the price is right at chevron...

although now that i just found out they boched EV's... time to look for another company to rely on my refueling needs.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:00 PM   #19
Registered Member

Re: I don't understand what

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
I don't understand what you're saying about turbos.
Premium is needed for turbo cars.

Old 03-31-2006, 04:57 PM   #20
*shrug*

I know, but what're you

I know, but what're you talking about with the timing?

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote