What is the Optimal Alignment for MPG? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-03-2010, 06:32 AM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Realistically, I don't think spacers will save "save you countless mile per gallons and allow you for alot less down shifts", which implies a large amount of savings. However, the idea of better handling so you can corner faster (assuming that visibility and safety allows it) is good. You might want to concentrate on the front end.

On the rear of most FWD cars, spacers won't help your handling and may hurt your FE by sticking the wheels out into the air flow. I've never driven a FWD vehicle that oversteers (without too much purposeful effort); the rear wheels never even slip a little. The exception is my VW, which usually understeers but can oversteer without being done on purpose (this has only happened to me a couple times).

If your FWD car does oversteer, you may have something wrong with it. Assuming that's not the case, there are additional things you can do besides wheel spacers:
- Wider rear tires
- Increase inflation (if you haven't already)
- Camber adjustment
Those adjustments will keep more of the tread on the pavement during a hard turn. Just remember that the spacers, camber, and wider tires will make you look like a ricer kid and will attract cops to ticket you for those turns...those tickets cost a lot and don't help your FE at all.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:05 AM   #22
Banned

Those adjustments will keep more of the tread on the pavement during a hard turn. Just remember that the spacers, camber, and wider tires will make you look like a ricer kid and will attract cops to ticket you for those turns...those tickets cost a lot and don't help your FE at all.

haha dont do anything dangerous yes all's im saying is this may have more to offer than trying to find a specific alignment more mpg

disc spacers fit well on drums which I happen to have on the back wheels of my car, they wouldn't fit on the front for me, I got them because I do alot of driving on the highway and saturns dont like wind gusts a whole lot cause of the plastic panels and this helps bigtime... But realized that they allow me to take corners a little easier so now I have the handling of a BMW instead of a saturn. BTW older series saturns handle better than the newer one 91-98 vs 99-whatever because of suspension changes

cops dont think saturns are ricers either cause saturns are american,,

we are cheesburgerer's!

spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:30 PM   #23
Banned

cheeseburgerburner

spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote