What is wrong?? - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2008, 08:40 PM   #31
Registered Member

Oil is a finite resource so those that squander it mess it up even for those of us who don't.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:56 PM   #32

Oil may possibly be finite, but there's a lot more out there than most people think. We haven't even used a third of the oil that exists in the world. (According to more recent estimates.)

And even the finite-ness of oil is debatable. There's a lot of evidence that points to oil being a byproduct of the mantle, not a fossil fuel. I've read of more than one case of an oil field (near a fault) being drained and capped, then re-opened a decade or more later to be found full once more.

Wyldesoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:48 AM   #33
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
What's wrong? Oh I'd say Hollywood/Image. You have to understand we are all stars and need room for all our personal assistants and bodyguards. Also our big tough trucks make us manly men that can crush that guy in his little Cavalier like a bug ( as long as we keep the doors locked). If we park the truck near the bedroom window we may not even need ****** tonight.
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:40 PM   #34
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffmeistro View Post
Oil may possibly be finite, but there's a lot more out there than most people think. We haven't even used a third of the oil that exists in the world. (According to more recent estimates.)

And even the finite-ness of oil is debatable. There's a lot of evidence that points to oil being a byproduct of the mantle, not a fossil fuel. I've read of more than one case of an oil field (near a fault) being drained and capped, then re-opened a decade or more later to be found full once more.
I'm no geologist but I'd suspect if a dry well returned to some measure of productivity years later, it's because nature abhors a vacuum and a nearby oil deposit made it's way over to the <previously occupied> reserve.

If oil is still being produced (not just harvested) it better get it in gear! Cuz we're doing our darndest to burn it off!

So... in the space of maybe 100 years we've only managed to burn off 1/3 the global supply of a natural resource??? Wow... we're slackers! Perhaps a review of this chart is in order?

Will production keep going up indefinitely? IMHO it won't, but if we're going to use oil in the manner to which we've become accustomed, it will have to!

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

Old 01-13-2008, 12:47 PM   #35
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffmeistro View Post
I know I'm likely to get lynched for this... But as a preface, I'm not one to believe that cars are causing global warming. (I acknowledge it exists, but c'mon. MARS is warming up, and they don't have people there, or SUV's)

Bad logic & you know it.

The fact is that CO2 absorbs infrared radiation. Now much CO2 that was previously locked up deep underground is being liberated into the atmosphere. Come to your own conclusions.
Sporkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:23 PM   #36
Registered Member

yea the one thing thats keeping a majority of small cars out of america is part of our crash testing, the UN BUCKLED passenger has to be able to live after a crash of 30 mph!!! isnt almost every state have seatbelt laws now? then WHY are we still testing for this???? I say it should be up to the consumer of what car they buy with what safety feaures.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:29 PM   #37
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD26 View Post
What an interesting post. The Honda MDX isn't a car that I like personally, but people buy it. It's a Honda, designed and developed in the US, assembled in Canada, so people buy it for the backing that they feel is Honda engineering in addition to fitting their budget, needs, and wants. Even Honda recognizes what's necessary in the market place to sell vehicles that continue to generate profits and keep the company moving forward and employing the good people they have. Doesn't every business want to be successful?

Honda actually has been building cars in the US by US workers since 1982. Might want to find out where your Civic was actually made.

It's just about hysterical how you talk about the Wrangler and the Miata. Maybe the same reason why your parents decided to get the MDX. Make your decision to buy your car for yourself carefully.
Yeah, I know that the MDX is an American one. I guess its stillb rand name afflicting us - I mean, I know the quality/reliability of American cars are getting better, but for me (maybe them as well), I'd prefer to drive Honda. My parents initially bought the MDX as something for long trips (my family (brother, parents and aunt) take 6 hour trips to Michigan once a year...) so we would be comfortable in it. And yes, I know that since the market wants it, they wiill make it...such is part of the case for Honda getting rid of the insight.

But...yeah. I just wouldn't like a wrangler (too big for me), and while I know the miata is not a very FE car (~30 or so mpg?) it's something I wouldn't mind driving. I mean, right now, I'm having a frustrating time getting my civic over 35 mpg (joys of winter) and fighting with the automatic transmission, as I just can't get it to shift sooner sometimes (usually into 4th gear at 35-40, unless uphill...then it will barely ever do it until it levels out or I'm going 50 and take my foot off the pedal).

I guess you mistook my notion of 'American' cars - I usually mean cars produced by the American companies. I wouldn't say stuff like Lexus and Acura count, as they're still essentially parts of the Japanese companies...my opinion I guess.

And my Civic is Canadian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
P.S. I must be a wierdo as I think just because a guy can afford to do something, doesn't mean he should. I can afford to buy 100 gallons of gas several times a month, pour it on the ground, light it (or not)... but I don't think I should.
GasSavers_Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:48 PM   #38
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD26 View Post
US EPA continues to crush diesels.
Sad but true. And CARB (California Air Resources Board) is even harder on them.

As to what's wrong with Americans? If you have the money to buy an SUV and can afford the gas, then I have no problem with that. The only problem here is freedom...that's a problem I LOVE to have.
'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 03:06 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
As to what's wrong with Americans? If you have the money to buy an SUV and can afford the gas, then I have no problem with that. The only problem here is freedom...that's a problem I LOVE to have.
THAT was my point. Why are we doing our best to crush the idea of a high standard of living?
Wyldesoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 03:16 PM   #40
Registered Member

The mistake as I see it is equating waste, inefficiency, self-centeredness, and slobness with "a high standard of living".

F150:
New EPA12/14/17