What Spark Plugs to use - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2008, 04:05 AM   #1
Registered Member

What Spark Plugs to use

Im going to change my spark plugs soon and i was wondering which ones to buy for the best fuel economy

domggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:52 AM   #2

What vehicle are you running?

I have had good luck with Bosch +4 platinum plugs in all vehicles I've used, but they do better in certain vehicles than others. In some vehicles you'll want iridium plugs, not in others. Tell us what you've got - it will help feedback.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:47 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
If you indeed are running a Civic VX as shown in your vehicle log, then you want to run NGK V-Power ZFR4F-11 plugs.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
Registered Member

Lot of controversy about this topic. Usually people who use specialty plugs either are getting something they don't need or are having problems and using the plugs for a crutch.

Toyota recommends Iridium plugs in the Yaris. The Honda CRX requires conventional NGXs but I've done better with Bosch platinums, which I installed before I learned about the Honda Main Relay issue..

The Chevy uses NGKs and runs as well as can be expected for an old beat up car.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:36 AM   #5
Registered Member

sorry I have a 1994 honda civic vx
domggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:52 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
Go with the stock NGK V-power plugs, I've tried number of differnt plugs including the Bosch +4 platinum, and my engine ran smoothest with the NGK, the only improvment that I could see is if you indexed your spark plug, pull a spark plug out and you will notice that it has almost a shadowing, put the open side of the spark plug twards the center of the flame with the arm of the spark plug in the shadow.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:39 AM   #7
Registered Member

I've run many different vehicles on both platinum and copper plugs and never noticed a difference in power or FE. For FE inprovement, you might just try messing with the gap of standard copper plugs in you engine. I went from a .44 gap to .52 (~20% increase) and my cold starting improved, cold idle is smoother, and I can shift at a lower rpm without the engine feeling over-stressed...i.e., more low end torque. I've only run a tank like this, but so far it seems to have improved the FE a bit...gonna fill up today and see what it comes to. The only catch is that if you're coil is weak or on the brink, it might have trouble firing across the larger gap...my coil is 14 years old, has ~200k miles on it and it works great.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #8
Registered Member

any of you guys see the PULSTAR plugs ???http://www.pulstarplug.com/
superrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:37 PM   #9
Registered Member

Intriguing, and they might work...but they're damn expensive!
Old 02-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rower4VT View Post
I've run many different vehicles on both platinum and copper plugs and never noticed a difference in power or FE. For FE inprovement, you might just try messing with the gap of standard copper plugs in you engine. I went from a .44 gap to .52 (~20% increase) and my cold starting improved, cold idle is smoother, and I can shift at a lower rpm without the engine feeling over-stressed...i.e., more low end torque. I've only run a tank like this, but so far it seems to have improved the FE a bit...gonna fill up today and see what it comes to. The only catch is that if you're coil is weak or on the brink, it might have trouble firing across the larger gap...my coil is 14 years old, has ~200k miles on it and it works great.
yeah, that's what I was going to ask about, the plug gap. that seems like it would have an effect on something. I could have swore I read that the expensive one last longer or are more prone to corrosion or something.

guest001 is offline   Reply With Quote