Whats too much Psi - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2007, 12:28 PM   #31
Registered Member

"higher pressure =better MPG, but more$$$ in tires, because they wear out faster" this is from a Yaris forum webpage.
I run my tires at 44, that is the number shown on the sidewall. Do you believe my tires will wearout faster?

GasSavers_roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:31 PM   #32
FE nut

I have heard of cheapie 30K tires going well into the 40's & 50's with increased pressures.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #33
Supporting Member

diamondlarry -

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry View Post
I have heard of cheapie 30K tires going well into the 40's & 50's with increased pressures.
Wow, and I was thinking of getting 30K tires to keep from being "locked in" to a set of tires that might give me bad FE. And your saying they might give me 40K+ anyway! Now I want to look for 30K tires rated at 51 PSI.

... I read that if you want to be on the safe side, there is a tire website (I forget the URL!!!) that abides by the "10% rule". Whatever the maximum PSI rating is, subtract 10%. Soooo, 44 PSI => 40 Max. If you get tires rated at 51 PSI, you can go to 45 PSI.

Most people seem to be running at or beyond the rated PSI, though, so it's your call.

For my car I was at 39 PSI (rated 44 PSI), and it was definitely a rough ride. I am at 37 PSI right now on the "car voodoo belief" that it will increase my traction in the rain (not that we didn't get any ).

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:45 PM   #34
Registered Member

I would definetly say that the higher pressure would give less tread wear. Less work by the engine means less resistive force from the tires. So they must be doing less work :-)

I've seen the formula somewhere like the one you mentioned, but it took the difference between weight on the tire, and gross weight for the tire. Then there was some forumla to figure out what percent more psi you could run.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:45 PM   #35
Registered Member

watch the movie

please watch the movie

Wal-mart the high cost of low prices ..... and you will stop going to wal-mart I won't say anymore just see for yourself
95_corolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:42 AM   #36
Registered Member

I did, and I did

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
And what movie would that be?
I watched it and quit shopping at that place.

RH77
Old 02-13-2007, 10:29 AM   #37
Supporting Member

rh77 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
I watched it and quit shopping at that place.

RH77
They were never near me before I figured out that they were just another mega-corporation eating the USA alive. Remember the 60 Minutes on how Wal-Mart was bullying distributors? There was this pickle company that was dependent on Wal-Mart for like 20% of it's sales. Wal-Mart demands that they provide 1 gallon jugs of pickles for like a dollar or something. Company complies and eventually goes out of business from the losses.

Meanwhile, people never eat that many pickles. They go bad and people throw out the one gallon jugs. It was just a marketing ploy to have something "big and cheap" at the entrance to the store so people would have that "i got a bargain" feel from shopping at Wal-Mart.

, but it's hard not to buy anything these days without hitting the "Made In China" label. A new acronym, MIC!

... As in MICkey mouse?!?!?!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:14 AM   #38
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
OK not exactly on topic but tire and wear and pressure related at least and not a Walmart slam - buy your oil there for les and beat the oil companies a little . . . anyway...

I have been using some Armorall tire foam on my tires to keep them nice and clean and shiny but none of the other cleaners as it seems to attack and fade Toyota black plastics and materials. So the tires get washed off in the rain and turn brown and powdery looking so I was wondering if a silicone oil or silicone brake fluid on the side walls would be better for the tires. The silicone oil is recommended for door seals so I figure maybe it would be ok and non-reactive with the sidewall rubber. ANY THOUGHTS?
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:24 AM   #39
Registered Member

How did a movie about Wal mart get into a tire PSI thread? What did I miss?
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:35 AM   #40
FE nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
How did a movie about Wal mart get into a tire PSI thread? What did I miss?
Even wierder is the fact that there is no link for said movie.

Quote:
theclencher- Sure, it'll give less tread wear- on the outside edges! The middle might disagree...
I have been running 60 psi in my tires(44 max rating) since September without any abnormal wear patterns; middle or otherwise. The tires on my son's car(diamondlarry's temporary ride) have been running the same tires as my car since July with the same pressure with no abnormal wear. The tires on my son's car were on my old Saturn for 6 months+ before they went on his car. I think that the old bias-ply tires were more susceptible to wear in the middle than today's radial tires; unless maybe you pumped them up to 150+ psi.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote