When will we get serious FE cars? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2007, 11:39 AM   #21
Registered Member

I think that over the last 15+ years, engineers have found ways to get more accelleration and speed from a given engine displacement, and target MPG.

What the idoits should have done was use the technical advance to get MORE MPG, and not more speed/accelleration.

My 2007 Yaris can give 45+ MPG, but it also provides 106hp....could it be that if the engine was tuned to just 85hp, the car made to weigh 400lbs less (like an early 1990's Civic), it would provide around 60+ MPG?

It seems that the auto industry takes technical advances, and uses them for bad (speed/acceleration), instead of good (more MPG).

MorningGaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:42 AM   #22
Registered Member

That's also a good point.

Your Yaris has about twice HP of my Metro Likely more than twice, since I put the XFi cam in.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:51 AM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
That's also a good point.

Your Yaris has about twice HP of my Metro Likely more than twice, since I put the XFi cam in.
...and I never need the 106HP...never found a reason to ever floor it getting on the freeways, or passing slow moving, etc....until the American mentality changes, and stops equating high HP with "sexiness" in a car, we'll continue to get over the top HP in little "Gas saving" cars....maybe when gas gets too $6+? I'm ready for it...seems you're more so...
MorningGaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:38 PM   #24
Registered Member

America needs an attitude change. Sure, high gas prices would force it. But I like what the Prius is doing better. In most people's eyes it's actually cool to own one. How the Prius pulled that one off, I'm not sure. Maybe it's that micro cars are Carter administration "we must sacrifice", while most hybrids are "have it both ways" Clintonesque.

It didn't help that domestic automakers so drastically skewed the quality of their vehicles to positively correlate with hugeness. I can't think of a small American engineered and built car that isn't crap.

Another change is that people are bigger than ever. Taller and fatter. Ask someone 6 ft, 200 pounds plus to sit in a 1960's bug. Even with the seat all the way back, they'll be sitting with their legs akimbo to keep their knees from knocking the steering wheel.
bzipitidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:03 PM   #25
Registered Member

Well, do you want a $5000 car that gets 75 mpg or a $25000 car that gets 75 mpg.

I don't think Americans will be able to AFFORD $25000 cars much longer, anyway, let alone fuel for them at $10/gal.
cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:33 PM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzipitidoo View Post
Another change is that people are bigger than ever. Taller and fatter. Ask someone 6 ft, 200 pounds plus to sit in a 1960's bug. Even with the seat all the way back, they'll be sitting with their legs akimbo to keep their knees from knocking the steering wheel.
im 6'2" 195 lbs and i drove a baja bug out in the desert just fine with me similarly sized friend in the passenger seat. it wasnt super roomy by any means, but it was comfortable.