Where can I get non-Ethanol gas - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-15-2007, 01:18 AM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Here's some elumination: ethanol is like a fuel system cleaner, octane booster, and oxygenate adder all in one. So there's the good additives built right in.
I really don't think so. For starters, ethanol has 30% less BTU's per gallon than gasoline (less energy). Meanwhile, since ethanol has an octane of 110, it gives an incentive for the other 90% of gas to be a lower octane to meet the 87 standard.

Ethanol is a scam. Why else would ethanol be mandatory in New York? This is the same state that *mandates* putting chemicals (additives) in cigarettes. I'm not kidding, come buy a pack and look at the huge black bar next to the barcode. That's the sign of compliance, and the cigs taste like crap (fortunately, natural cigs are exempt).

New York is the same state that used MBTE until recently, and is now struggling with the environmental impact.

Demand real gas.

broodlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:58 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by broodlinger View Post
Ethanol is a scam. Why else would ethanol be mandatory in New York? This is the same state that *mandates* putting chemicals (additives) in cigarettes. I'm not kidding, come buy a pack and look at the huge black bar next to the barcode. That's the sign of compliance, and the cigs taste like crap (fortunately, natural cigs are exempt).

New York is the same state that used MBTE until recently, and is now struggling with the environmental impact.

Demand real gas.
I'm confused. So NY switches to E10 because of the MBTE environmental impact so it's a scam?

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:47 PM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Who cares about the BTUs? I said it was a cleaner and it is. I said it has higher octane and it does.
Yeah, but ethanol is not an octane booster. Octane boosters such as methanol (listed as an ingredient on my last purchase) and acetone (octane 150) are added OUNCES per tank. Ethanol is added GALLONS per tank. So think again.

zpiloto: >I'm confused. So NY switches to E10 because of the MBTE environmental impact so it's a scam?

Point is, New York will screw with any product as long as it involves screwing with it. Mandating cigarette additives is a fiasco. MBTE was a fiasco. So you think they got it right this time?
Old 06-16-2007, 07:49 PM   #24
*shrug*

It's better than MTBE, being government mandated doesn't make it a scam,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:04 PM   #25
FE nut

I don't have any links for this(now MY lazy is kicking in ) but I have seen where ethanol lowered two types of polution but, it actually raised a couple of others. The way ethanol is being pushed here-made from corn-is going to backfire in a big way by raising food costs. I read recently that Mexico is already experiencing shortages of corn for flour, tortillas, etc. Until ethanol can be made from things like corn stalks and other cellulose sources it won't work.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:26 PM   #26
Supporting Member

I don't think the enzyme technology is that far in the future. They'll be making ethanol from grass about the time big oil is looking for new poison to sell.

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:57 AM   #27
Registered Member

Ethanol is an octane booster. Full stop.

In some places ethanol is added to 87 octane RUL to make 89 octane midgrade.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:41 PM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't care what the ratio is. So, I've thought again.
Your position was summarized when you said, "Who cares about BTUs?"

E10 has ~3.5% less energy than gasoline. Is 3.5% important to hypermilers?

I would call it "watered-down."
Old 06-18-2007, 05:23 PM   #29
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELF View Post
You will have to do some research in your state, ethanol use varies by state.
For instance here in MN all gas is E-10 except for a few stations that carry 91 octane gas with no eth. this gas is only for classic cars and motorcycle/ boats ect. That doesn't stop me from using it though. Some states have a choice, some have ethanol just in the 87 octane gas.
Luckily I have one of those stations that sells 92 octane non-oxygenated and no ethanol in it. It makes for some very nice MPG numbers!

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:24 PM   #30
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
Hmm, unless they choose to not post it, the local BP's and Sheetz's don't have E-10.