Which mid-90s Civic? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

Which mid-90s Civic?

I'm trying to choose a Civic out of these 2. If neither is satisfactory, I can keep shopping, but you know, time's money...

1) 1995 model. Owner's not sure if it's a DX, but the windows are manual (cranks), so I think it could be. 2 door coupe. New timing belts and brakes. Very clean car. $1700... however, it has a whopping 216k miles on it.

2) 1993 LX. Also great shape (new timing belt, water pump, etc.), only 125k miles. I'm not sure if LX gets as good mileage as the other 1993 models. Anyone know? $2000.

The odometer difference is pretty huge, but I'm worried about the LX vs. DX thing. I'll be using this thing primarily for highway driving (road trips) I think. Both of these are in solid shape.

I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks.

deathletter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Which mid-90s Civic?

If everything else if pretty equal, I'd take the lower mileage one. That's a pretty huge difference for not much difference in price.

Guitarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:16 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Do you know which engine and transmission are in each? Fueleconomy.gov can give you the ratings for comparison if you do.

I have to agree with Guitarzan...that is a HUGE difference in miles on the car and the one with fewer miles is the clear choice even if it sacrifices a few MPG.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:57 AM   #4

my vote is on the lower mileage one as well. In my mind once a car reaches 200k it has almost zero resale value other than for scrap or parts. it may still have tons of life left in it but it has no business being tht pricey. I wouldnt even try to talk the guy down, he's way over priced.
kit352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:13 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Do you know which engine and transmission are in each? Fueleconomy.gov can give you the ratings for comparison if you do.
I'm pretty sure each has the original stock engine. I'm just afraid that there will be a huge MPG difference... but I guess the odometer difference is huge. And maybe I can learn some gas saving tricks from you guys anyway .
deathletter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:52 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

I was asking about the engine because that's how you look up fuel economy, not by LX vs. DX etc (and you seem unsure if the first one is a DX or not).

Anyway, gas saving for many of us is a means to an end; we are trying to save money. If that's what motivates you then the low-miles car will be more effective. Some have other motivations, such as environmentalism or oil conservation...if you have that sort of motivation then a few extra MPG from a car with more miles may or may not make sense.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
Registered Member

DX has the manual windows. i like manual windows, they are your friend(if you have a/c).

i wouldn't worry too much about economy between the LX and DX--should be similar, everything else being equal. BTW, i too support buying the lower mileage vehicle.

you didn't mention transmissions. the manual can get fantastic FE in either trim!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #8
Registered Member

Both the DX and LX had the same engine from 1992-1995. They were both the D-series 1.5L 16V, 102-hp non-VTEC motor. The ones with manual transmissions have no power steering in the DX, and I believe they do not have power steering in the LX either, although I could be wrong. The automatics all have power steering.

The DX is the only model in the coupe with crank windows and manual locks. It will also have the silver 13" steel wheels with no covers from the factory, whereas the LX has black wheels with covers.

That being said, the LX will have more equipment and a lot less miles. If they are in similar condition (rust, interior, glass, tires, exhaust, etc.), definitely go with the LX.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #9

Go with the one with the best maintenance records. A well cared for 216k is better than 125k with lackluster maintenance.

Some Hondas from that era tend to have head gasket problems. Some Civics from that era tend to have head gasket problems. My memory is rusty which ones. If you have the skill they are pretty easy to change (Especially if done when doing with a timing belt) and the updated gaskets fix the problem.
GeneK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:14 AM   #10
Registered Member

AFAIK- It is just the 84-87 Honda Civics that have the stock head gasket issue (I have one). The stock head gasket gets crushed in the middle and no longer seals well if the engine ever overheats. The aftermarket gaskets are reinforced in this area.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote