Who hypermiles their sports car? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #11
Site Team / Moderator

I just took the lid off my airbox, but depending on your filter configuration that may not be possible.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I just took the lid off my airbox, but depending on your filter configuration that may not be possible.

-Jay
You should have the vortec motor so basically your airbox is a cone with a box built around it right?

1998 Buick Regal GS

1999 Chevrolet C2500

1998 Corvette
Three6Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:39 PM   #13
Site Team / Moderator

Yeah, The air filter is a huge cylinder that is pressed onto the air intake, and a box around that. I simply took the lid off the box and duct taped the original air intake shut.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:39 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Set your goal higher. Plenty of speed freaks report 30mpg+ in their Corvettes without any attempt to save gas at all.

Neutral coasting is fine in most automatics, too. It's shutting the engine off that's not ok in automatics, but is ok in manuals.

You might be able to increase your tire pressure. That will help if it doesn't make the ride unbearable or make the car handle badly. On common economy cars and trucks/SUVs it's easy to pump up the pressure, but it might not be so pleasant on the Corvette. Don't exceed the maximum stamped on the tire sidewall.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
And regarding intake modifications...I'm highly skeptical that anyone trying to save gas can improve their fuel economy with a less restrictive intake. If it can flow enough for making maximum power, it should flow totally freely at low RPM/low throttle conditions used by people trying to save gas. The same goes for exhaust.

Additionally, studies have shown that even using a clogged air filter doesn't reduce fuel economy, it just reduces power...
Old 06-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #16
Registered Member

Its an experiment worth trying I think. Its free so why not try?The factory usually has it sucking air through the fender with a small *** hole. If you cut that side off completly you have more surface area to suck in air and you'll suck in a little hot air in as well. Doesnt hot air =better fuel economy?

In my Regal I averaged better Fuel economy with a an open air intake but I was losing time at the track so I built a Fenderwell intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
And regarding intake modifications...I'm highly skeptical that anyone trying to save gas can improve their fuel economy with a less restrictive intake. If it can flow enough for making maximum power, it should flow totally freely at low RPM/low throttle conditions used by people trying to save gas. The same goes for exhaust.

Additionally, studies have shown that even using a clogged air filter doesn't reduce fuel economy, it just reduces power...

1998 Buick Regal GS

1999 Chevrolet C2500

1998 Corvette
Three6Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #17
Registered Member

Yeah, LS/1 Corvettes and Camaros have a .5:1 overdrive ratio 6th gear, which with the 3.42 they put on a lot of those cars makes it super tall in top gear. Actually, I'm surprised it's 1500rpm at 60, I had thought it was 1400? At least, that's what I read. In any case, I had also heard from a friend of mine with a 35th Anniversary SS Camaro that 75-80 seems to be the sweet spot for fuel economy in these cars with that tall gear.

Anyhow, not really a sports car but I did have an SVT Focus, I got about a 6mpg gain from the mildest of techniques. Despite turning over 2800rpm at 65mph, it was always good for a solid 34mpg on the open road with just a little care. I have a '67 Mustang which is awaiting its new jets and metering rods before I really try in ernest to wring any kind of FE from it.
'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:57 PM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I tried the air box mod. It let much warmer air in but it started pinging under load and my mileage actually dropped.

I think it had more to do with the iron block and heads and worn out ignition components than anything else.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:07 PM   #19
Registered Member

Im trying to hypermile my camaro. Its an auto so you have a lot taller final drive then I do. And I have a 3000 stall so in town taht causes some issues but I can do better then epa and am getting better.

You should be able to do 30.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:27 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Its a 98 GMC K1500 with a 4L60E 4 speed overdrive automatic. The engine is a classic 5.7 Liter "350"

-Jay
Jay ,
I have the same trans bolted to the GM 3.8 90 degree V6 so the thing should last forever !

Highway running is 1750 RPM @ 60 MPH and fuel is around 7.5 lt/100 klms (about 31 US MPG)

Pete.

GasSavers_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote