Why does everything I do increase my fuel economy? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Question Why does everything I do increase my fuel economy?

Take a look at my gaslog. I've tried some things that seem like they wouldn't help, but my MPG went up. I can't decide if the ideas really work, or if I'm observing improvement due to engine/car break-in (odometer reads 3500 miles right now) and/or warmer weather.

Mainly, I'm surprised that skipping lots of gears helps. Specifically, under normal acceleration, I tried launching in 2nd, winding it out to 2500-3000 rpm, and then shifting straight to 5th, and I gained 1.36 mpg.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
Registered Member

Nice, can you come round and tighten my lug nuts or something

Edit: However, just realised, this is a brand new car, and your first stick, and the weather is getting warmer. Cars still take a while to run-in and loosen up, mpg should climb steadily from that, weather getting warmer will make mpg climb steadily and you'll get slightly better all the time at driving stick, could continue improving incrementally for months and months.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Yeah that looks like norrmal engine break in mileage increase. Add some more pressure to your tires asap and that should spike the mpg up a little. Don't be afraid to let the engine rev a little once in a while in the lower gears with light thorttle - breaking in the cylinder bores requires some light polishing which happens when the engine revs a little plus it splashes a little more oil around inside the engine.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
My tires are already up to their stamped maximum pressure, that's something I've been doing for years to improve tire wear and handling.

I do sometimes rev it up, a few times a day I goose it for some hard acceleration and maybe once a week I redline it in some major hurry or difficult maneuver, so I'm happy with my break-in habits.

How many miles should be on it before I assume the break-in is done and any improvements are my own?
Old 04-25-2008, 06:00 AM   #5
Registered Member

Well, maybe break-in is over and 2-5 shifting really helped. I lost 1 mpg shifting 1-2-5. The loss could also be attributed to more driving with my windows open.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:06 AM   #6
Registered Member

Starting in 2nd gear is bad for the clutch. I wouldn't do it clutches cost a lot to replace.

korax123 is offline   Reply With Quote