Why Not Eco Grinds for CRX HF - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-18-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Why Not Eco Grinds for CRX HF

You know for a long time now, I 've read a lot of threads about Geo Metro owners achieving great fuel economy gains, by having 3Tech provide economy grinds to their camshafts. Additionally, 3Tech even offers an economy head package too.

That's when I stared to wonder...What if Honda enthusiast did the exact same thing to their engines? Could the same fuel economy gains be achieved for say the CRX HF,as 3Tech does for Geo Metro owners?

In short, would an economy grind & head benefit an HF owner too? I'd like to know if there's anyone out there who's tried this? All other opinions on the matter are welcomed.
Thanks.
http://www.teamswift.net/3tech/

Davo53209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Registered Member

It is possible that the Honda engineers already gave the stock HF cam the best profile for economy.

Or it may be that there are just too few HF's out there to make money doing it (too small of a market).

Although my Civic isn't an HF, I have an adjustable cam gear that I will be installing later this spring.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
Registered Member

Theoretically though, I'm wondering if it is possible. Infact, what would it take to give it an economy grind? Even still, we wouldn't have to limit it to just an HF. It could as be a VX, CX, EX etc. As for your results, keep us informed.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:21 AM   #4
Registered Member

I forgot to ask, if an efficiency grind wouldn't make a difference, then how about a polished & ported head?
Old 02-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #5
Registered Member

but now you are looking at money.

a custom ground cam shaft isn't cheap (especially when you don't really know what shape it has to be for your application) and ported and polished heads are really expensive unless you are skilled and can do it yourself.

all of this to increase a cars mileage when it is already seeing 50ish mpg. I think the time it would take to recoupe your investment cost would be many many years.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
Registered Member

Well I for one can't port or polish a head; however money isn't so much the issue, given how I can get the friends & family discount so to speak. I guess what I am realizing though, is that the camshafts for the CRX HF are designed with apparently more precision than a stock base model Geo Metro.

At least theoretically, I'm wondering if a head that's ported & polish could make a difference in increased FE.