Why ScanguageII and I need to buy a digital tire pressure guage. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2007, 12:07 PM   #1
Registered Member

Why ScanguageII and I need to buy a digital tire pressure guage.

Looking through Amazon and saw a few digital guages. Need anyone's experiences/opinions. Ready to buy one now as well as a Scanguage 2.

Was also wondering why Scanguage is the prefered brand of OBD2 computer? I see that there are a few others out there that SEEM to do same thing. Is it because of instantaneous readouts and size that seems great for a dash hookup. I even saw one that was able to connect to laptops but I can see where that would be shaped more for a tool and would not be a 'dashboard friendly' device.

Anyway, here are a few links to the guages I was looking at:
(Im not promoting Amazon and might not even get them there, but I just found them there. If I can get them for same price from a link here so Matt gets server money, I'd rather do that). Hope links work

2...Accutire MS-4350B $12
http://www.amazon.com/Accutire-MS-43...8&s=automotive

8...Accutire MS-4021B Standard Digital Tire Gauge
http://www.amazon.com/Accutire-MS-40...8&s=automotive

42...Accutire MS-5510B Racing Tire Gauge
http://www.amazon.com/Accutire-MS-55...8&s=automotive

99...Accutire MS-4000 Backlit Lithium Digital Tire Gauge
http://www.amazon.com/Accutire-MS-40...8&s=automotive

GasSavers_StanleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
Registered Member

I'll comment on the pressure gauge -
I got tired of finding that my $1 - $2 - $3 pressure gauges gave different readings. So I looked around.

Finally found a maker of round brass-case gauges that quoted a tolerance spec. I think it's accurate +/- 1 psi. Maybe more accurate than that? Cost about $14-15 in a local mom + pop parts store. Not available in local big box stores.

I found plenty digital and other fancy gauges available but no others that claimed any accuracy. Display in .1 psi units maybe, but no statement of accuracy. I'll try to post back with the makers name. I found them on the web so I think a persistent search would turn them up again. They're a U.S. rust belt company but the gauges are now made in China, still guaranteed accurate.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:20 PM   #3
Registered Member

What search terms did you use to find SG2-like equipment?

Right now I use a cheap pump that says I am putting 50 psi in my tires, and then measure pressure with a slightly less cheap gauge that says I have 38 psi in the tires. Wonder which is right? :-)
Old 07-19-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
What search terms did you use to find SG2-like equipment?

Right now I use a cheap pump that says I am putting 50 psi in my tires, and then measure pressure with a slightly less cheap gauge that says I have 38 psi in the tires. Wonder which is right? :-)
I just looked at the top 100 automotive list in Amamzon. Actron and Equus are two names that came up. Another way is to just look up Scanguage and then click on the similar items icons, or the icon that tells you what others boght after viewing the Scanguage (which is usually just similar/related items anyway). Actron has the number 2 most bought Automotive device while Equus commands numbers 22 and 25. Scanguage I think is at #16, an excellent showing which means that not just gas cheapos like us are buying it.. I suppose the ability to clear 'check engine' light and reading codes helps. But since there are so many items out there I just wonder why Scanguage is KING on this sight.

As far as guages are concerned I read on another site (cant remember) that they get getting different readings when they compared their OLD guage to their NEW one which begs the question "Which one is right?". I had a cheapie guage that I cant find but it was never the same as the air pressure reading from the gas station's free pump. Something tells me that my guage was more accurate (I doubt the gas station takes the effort to calibrate their FREE air station) but you never know. Im ready to buy Scanguage AND tire guage, but I want to know that Im getting quality equipment.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:19 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyD View Post
But since there are so many items out there I just wonder why Scanguage is KING on this sight.
The SG2 does do some calculations in its head to get the mpg for Hondas (I think). I don't know if other devices do that. It doesn't appear that they do, from just a quick look at Amazon.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:55 PM   #6
Registered Member

Interesting timing; I just ordered the "standard" Accutire model a few days ago. I needed some other stuff from Amazon.com, so for well under ten bucks with free shipping I figured, "Why not?" I'll let you know how it does compared to my other gauges, if you'd like.

As to the ScanGauge, there's absolutely no question in my mind that it's a worthwhile investment and quality equipment. Plus the developer is readily accessible -- I've been discussing some stuff with him via email.

Maybe it's popular because it's three tools in one, so it appeals to a larger crowd? It's not a full-blown code scanner but it does a fair job. It has the gauge section that's user-configurable, so you can display the four readings you want. And then there's the trip computer that's so automatic all you have to do is tell it when you fill the tank, and it manages trips (or segments), daily readings, and so on all by itself.

In summary, it's a nicely done, small, versatile piece of equipment that's priced fairly (in my opinion). Not a combination we get to see very often.

Rick
Old 07-19-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
Registered Member

The rising stem tire pressure gauges are only good for stirring paint, and not very good for that... I'm using a Victor digital gauge I picked up a wallymart a few years ago. It's very repeatable and reads in .5psi increments. I'd really like one that reads in .1 increments though. Why? Just because.

Scangauge II is not an expense as it will pay for itself in saved gas. Since I started using the Scangauge I picked up 2mpg and thats a ton on my 4 Runner!
Old 07-20-2007, 06:02 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rae View Post
Interesting timing; I just ordered the "standard" Accutire model a few days ago. ... I'll let you know how it does compared to my other gauges, if you'd like.

As to the ScanGauge, ..... It has the gauge section that's user-configurable, so you can display the four readings you want. ....In summary, it's a nicely done, small, versatile piece of equipment that's priced fairly (in my opinion). Not a combination we get to see very often.

Rick
Thanks a lot. I cant wait to hear how well it reads. Im looking for consistency. I dot need bulletproof accuracy, but I do need something that will give me a reasonable estimate of what my pressure is. If it reads 35 when its really 35.6, I can live with that. But Ive heard of diff guages being 5 or 6 psi higher than others. Thats unacceptable.
As far as Scanguage, I think that soe of the appeal is the shape and size thats perfect for dash-mounting and instantaneous readings as oppossed to other fluke-shaped designs that look more like advanced calculators whose displays are not practical for reading while driving. I LOVE the option to read 4 custom readings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalic View Post
The rising stem tire pressure gauges are only good for stirring paint, and not very good for that... I'm using a Victor digital gauge I picked up a wallymart ....
Scangauge II is not an expense as it will pay for itself in saved gas. Since I started using the Scangauge I picked up 2mpg and thats a ton on my 4 Runner!
HAHAHA !!! I have to remember that one. Hmmmm.. how much was Vic gauge?
Cant wait to order and try Scanguage. It will take quite a while to pay for itself but its more about trying to get to know car and drive efficiently. Eventually it'll pay off financially. I also have 4Runner that I JUST put back on road. Stopped driving since I got 98Camry cause of gas, but it is still needed one some occasions. used to get 20mpg- I think with slower driving and Scanguage I can get to at least 23 which is 15% increase.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:48 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyD View Post
Hmmmm.. how much was Vic gauge?
Cant wait to order and try Scanguage. It will take quite a while to pay for itself but its more about trying to get to know car and drive efficiently. Eventually it'll pay off financially. I also have 4Runner that I JUST put back on road. Stopped driving since I got 98Camry cause of gas, but it is still needed one some occasions. used to get 20mpg- I think with slower driving and Scanguage I can get to at least 23 which is 15% increase.
I just don't remember what the Victor digital gauge cost, its been years but if they sell it at Wallyworld it can't be too expensive. Ran a search on the net and I don't see one that looks mine. It looks like a finger notched pistol grip. No doubt its looks have changed by now.

Another 4Runner! I drive my mine about 11000 miles a year, and the 2mpg increase I managed with the scan gauge is good for $114 per year at $3 gas. Thats not a bad payoff for something that has such a high entertainment value. (read that: its a darn fun toy!)
Old 07-20-2007, 10:22 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalic View Post
....Another 4Runner! I drive my mine about 11000 miles a year, and the 2mpg increase I managed with the scan gauge is good for $114 per year at $3 gas. Thats not a bad payoff for something that has such a high entertainment value. (read that: its a darn fun toy!)
My 97 4Runner (always in 2WD) has over 205,000 miles on it so I get my fun out of it. Its been sitting in driveway since last October. Finally charged the battery and took it out for first time since 2006. Plan to drive on weekends only as camry has taken over most of the driving cause of FE. But I might as well get good mpg when I do use it, mainly for hauling crap and driving with multiple passengers with crap in back during trips, so actual FE will prob never hit that 23mpg I want