2 cyl civic test? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorempg View Post
Could you explain how odd fire would make balancing better? Every two full revolutions of the crank will normally fire all four cylinders so I would think if you were to remove two it would need to be every other one to give it the smoothest possible outcome.
I only meant this for if you were actually removing rods and pistons and was referring to the vibration characteristics not the torsional aspects of the problem. A parallel twin has the vibration characteristics of a big single. A 180 degree odd fire twin vibrates a bit less. An old John Deere tractor twin is a 180 crank twin unless you go way back in years. Something only 40 years old would be the Honda 305 scrambler motorcycle. They truly vibrated less than the 305 Dream which was almost identical but was a parallel twin engine. This is all pretty academic and really doesn't matter cause I don't think anybody is going to do if for more than a few hours at most.