91 CRX Seat cover swap from passenger to driver side - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-11-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
Registered Member

91 CRX Seat cover swap from passenger to driver side

This is for a 91 CRX DX but should be more of less the same for all CRX models (correct me if I am wrong). I am by no means upholsterer but should also be similar for a lot of seats. This was actually my first time doing anything like this involving seats.

Go ahead and give it a shot!

For all of you who are looking to extend the life of your current seats.

Tools Used :
- Phillips head screwdriver
- Needle nosed pliers
- Regular pliers
- 11mm and 19mm sockets

I tracked down a set of newer Si seats so I was putting these up for sale but wanted to see how it was to take them apart and swap the upper seat covers. All in all it was actually very easy. I just took my time and tried not to rip any of the fabric or break any of the metal fasteners. I would also imagine that you could easily use appropriately sized zip ties in place of the metal fasteners.

I didn't do any type of foam repair or fabric repair but you can figure that part out yourself if you want. I did this mainly for reference putting them back together and to document any work that I do on my Rex and post it up here to help out the forum and keep people from starting up new topics that have already been discussed/answered.

----------------------

There is a plastic cover over the tilt adjustment handle that is held on by one phillips head screw. Remove that and there will be two (11mm) bolts to remove. You may have to adjust the tilt of the seat yo be able to see both of them. On the other side there is a 19mm bolt that needs to be removed. Once removed be sure to not lose the plastic spacer as well as the plastic washer. Once that is done you should have something like this:

Remove the fasteners from the bottom of the backrest:

Fold the seat cover back as you go and remove any fasteners that you come along:

The removal of the headrest receptacles were a little bit tricky for me. I believe this is where the DX seats and the Si seats differ a little bit. To remove the plastic you have to access them from the bottom as they are held in by tension clips. Just squeeze the two sides together and pull from the top. Should slide right out.

The side that had the button to depress to adjust the headrest back down is held in by a screw on the DX seats but I think that the Si seats use a clip. I believe that both can be removed by sliding a flat head screwdriver underneath.
DX :
For reference :

Slide the cover off :

Now would be the time to do any fabric or foam repairs that you had planned.

Installation is the reverse of removal.

Before:

After: Sure the holes are still there but if you take the time and mend what needs mending you will end up with a nice end result.

---------------------------

Questions and comments welcomed.

UfoTofU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
Registered Member

Nice writeup- I need to do this with my 87 civic.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote