A Theory...[Hybrid?] - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-01-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

A Theory...[Hybrid?]

Well i have a 1995 Civic CX, i get about 45mpg right now. and i want to push at leat 55-60mpg. i drove a prius the other day and i just came up with a idea...let me know if anyone think if it would work...
This is my idea-
Can we have a system to have a electric motor to keep the motor or drive train at a consistance speed when we take our foot of the gas or have a switch to turn it on.

This system would consist of a power supply [battery] a charging system [alternator] and some kind of electric motor to still power the drivetrain when the motor is off.

So basically it will work like this. the alternator will charge the battery or batteries to supply the electric motor with power to turn the engine or wheel once the battery gets low. the gas engine will take over and recharge the battery. this is return cycle.

the electric motor will have to spin as fast as the wheel/drivetrain or the engine rpm.

What do you guys think?

GasSavers_silvergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:26 PM   #2

sounds like GM's hybrid assist in their big rigs. They put an electric motor in the transmission, for extra low end grunt, and made the engines a little smaller. They claimed it would raise a full size Yukon from 14mpg in-town to 17mpg. It seemed to work for them, not sure how you'd mechanically connect it in your case, but worth a study. There is a company that makes motors designed for the rear wheels, leaving the gas motor drivetrain intact. Can't remember the name.

almightybmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
Registered Member

Just hook it up to a 5th wheel (which you can get a tiny one at lowes or home depot made for little carts or lawn mowers).

And its skinny to so it would have negliable rolling resistance.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:56 PM   #4
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by almightybmw View Post
sounds like GM's hybrid assist in their big rigs. They put an electric motor in the transmission, for extra low end grunt, and made the engines a little smaller. They claimed it would raise a full size Yukon from 14mpg in-town to 17mpg. It seemed to work for them, not sure how you'd mechanically connect it in your case, but worth a study. There is a company that makes motors designed for the rear wheels, leaving the gas motor drivetrain intact. Can't remember the name.
Isn't that what Chrysler did on the Pacifica? I thought it was RWD with (2) 70 hp electric motors on the front wheels.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by almightybmw View Post
on the honda civic its not a solid rear axle its a a [independent rear suspension] so it would be a little harder. but if i can get a 5th spare wheel with that was directly in the middle rear of the car. and have a electric motor that would be able to rotate the wheels at a decent 65mph..
can someone do the calculation on that for sprocket size for that?
and that motor would run on a one or couple batteries.
GasSavers_silvergt is offline   Reply With Quote