Accurate way to measure idling fuel consumption - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2010, 04:56 AM   #21

Re: Accurate way to measure idling fuel consumption

I switched from N to D many times on a 60 mile trip yesterday, I never noticed any noises or vibrations. I will try to rev match it anyway, I don't want to damage my transmission. It's a tiptronic transmission, don't know if that makes a difference.

Larry1LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #22
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

The tiptronic stuff is just a different interface for a normal automatic transmission. Shifting between N and D wouldn't cause any symptoms, it would just cause an abnormal amount of wear (same kind of wear as always, just more of it).

Old 10-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #23

Good sleuthing. I've managed >40 mpg on a nearly 1000 mile drive to Las Vegas & back in my wife's Hyundai Elantra w/AT and 2.0L engine. P&G between 50 and 65 mph on levels and downhills. Climb hills at 55 mph. That's how I did it.
FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:07 AM   #24

Just filled up at the only non-ethanol gas station in my county, which happened to actually be cheaper. Using my new found techniques of using N at stops and coasting while in N so far I'm averaging 45 MPG. That's what the ultragauge says, however, when I manually calculated my MPG on the last tank the ultragauge said 33 and my calculation was 33.35.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #25

Wow! 45 mpg is terrific. I averaged 43.7 mpg over 3600 miles in a rental Kia Rio this Spring, but it's got a much thriftier 1.6L engine. If I throw out the two tanks in SD where I was fighting 40+ mph crosswinds, my average rose to 45 mpg.rr
Old 10-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #26
Lean Burn Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryude View Post
Just filled up at the only non-ethanol gas station in my county, which happened to actually be cheaper. Using my new found techniques of using N at stops and coasting while in N so far I'm averaging 45 MPG. That's what the ultragauge says, however, when I manually calculated my MPG on the last tank the ultragauge said 33 and my calculation was 33.35.
Nice Work. Very impressive!!!
Old 10-24-2010, 10:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
Nice Work. Very impressive!!!
Thanks, but now I'm scared to continue doing this. See, I don't think automatics like to be Pulse & Glided such as what I was doing today. I haven't noticed any noises or vibrations, but I read my owners manual and it states do not flat tow over 25MPH for more than 25 miles.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-24-2010, 10:44 PM   #28

That precaution is for towing/rolling with the engine off. As long as you're gliding with the engine on, your automatic transmission is being lubricated, and there's no risk of damaging it.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:25 PM   #29

Oh, thank goodness! I'm glad you guys are here to answer all my questions. Sorry to the OP for stealing his thread!
Old 10-25-2010, 03:07 AM   #30
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Some vehicles don't cool the transmission as well at idle as they do when the engine is at speed. My wife's Isuzu is like that, and is a bad candidate for pulse & glide. The dash will likely light up a warning if the transmission is overheating.