Accurate way to measure idling fuel consumption - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

Accurate way to measure idling fuel consumption

Because the amounts are so small, I want to be sure and measure the fuel consumption of my car while idling accurately. How much of a run do you guys think I need on my SG2 to be accurate? Any tips on testing procedure would be useful too. Thanks!

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #2

You only need to run your car until it's warmed up to get a baseline idle fuel consumption. Five minutes is probably enough, but you can go to ten to be sure the car is warmed up. My Nissan drinks .22 gph, but my Scion only drinks .15-.17 gph. When they're cold, .35-.5 gph isn't unusual.

If I'm getting 60 mpg at 30 mph avg, I'd use a total of .5 gallon to go 30 miles in an hour. In a typical low speed scenario like that, I'm pulsing 1/3 of the time, and FASing the other 2/3. But if I were to coast NICE-on, I'd add another .2 gallons X 2/3 hour, or .133 gallons to my fuel consumption. That would bring my 60 mpg down to 30 miles/.633 gal, or 47.4 mpg. That's a significant cut in mileage, and is one of the reasons my wife's AT car only gets 40 mpg on the same country road route that I can get 60 mpg on with either of my MT autos.

FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:23 AM   #3
Registered Member

My initial estimate is around .19 gph, but I'm not sure how accurate that is (pulled it from my coast down data). I'll rerun things the next time I'm out and the engine is warmed up anyway. Probably not critical for my P&G calcs anyway, but it'd be good to know.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 08-19-2009, 04:29 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
Probably not critical for my P&G calcs anyway, but it'd be good to know.
Wrong. For 5 mph P&G ranges it matters a lot. I'll rerun my program after I get the idle info.

co de pen den cy

Old 08-19-2009, 09:19 AM   #5
Registered Member

Much easier to do while not driving! I used my stopwatch to time how long my SG2 took to get to .03 gallons. Sitting there wasting fuel was hard! Took 530 seconds, so that's 0.20 gph, which is pretty good agreement with data from my coast down.

co de pen den cy

Old 08-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #6

You might not be aware there's a gph function on the SGII, so you didn't have to monitor current trip fuel consumption and calculate it over time.
FrugalFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
Registered Member

Yeah, I noticed that yesterday afternoon when trying to get IAT to show up. Didn't know it was in there. It shows either .21 or .22 when coasting. Slightly different than the idling calculations, and since they're both reliant on the SG2, I wasn't positive which to go with. I just called it .21 and ran my program.

Time for me to re-read my SG2 manual.

co de pen den cy

Old 08-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
Registered Member

a bit OT, but i found this on another thread... http://www.milesgallon.com/calculate...t_per_mile.php

i put $1 for selling price because it wouldn't take zero and i put miles on the car when i got it for miles when new. couldn't understand that one. oh, and i put 10 years for ownership.

anyway, it says i get 14 cents/mile. but it does not account for maintanence. even @ similar miles driven and similar vehicles, there must be a huge variance in cost regarding maintaining a vehicle.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:57 PM   #9
Registered Member

I use the Edmunds TCO numbers and then divide by the mileage to compute $ / mile. I made a spreadsheet so I can adjust their values to be more in line with my needs.

co de pen den cy

Old 10-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #10

Re: Accurate way to measure idling fuel consumption

Is it normal for my 2010 Kia forte 2.0L 4spd automatic to consume 0.3+ gph at idle when warmed up? Also, is there any way to lower the idle speed on newer cars?

Larry1LT is offline   Reply With Quote