Aero front license plate - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-04-2007, 02:45 AM   #1
Registered Member

Aero front license plate

My state requires a front license plate.

Anybody ever try to make one aerodynamic, or is it worth the bother? I was thinking that cutting a section from an old blow-molded skylight to fit the contours of the front end would give a pretty good result, but I haven't tried it yet.

I could probably find a skylight for free, but I'm on a super-tight budget otherwise and there are too many variables in my area (hills, temperature, traffic) to conduct effective A/B testing.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:00 AM   #2
Registered Member

Some WRC rally cars hinge them at the top so they blow up at speed.

onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:53 AM   #3
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegammyleg
Some WRC rally cars hinge them at the top so they blow up at speed.
I did that with a Miata I used to have.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
Supporting Member

Hello -

I have a master plan for this that I haven't implemented. At Home Depot, I found some house address stickers that have the same size/color/background reflectance as my California license plate. I intend to remove the plate and put it in the dashboard like all the rice-rocketeers, and put the address numbers/letters on the bumper. The letters on the bumper will have a "long rectangular" European look.

This way I will be complying with the spirit of the law (a license number that is easy to read day or night on the *bumper* of the car).

When I was fiddling with different grill block designs, I thought of it. See second and third pictures below :

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:31 AM   #5
Registered Member

The presence or absence of a license plate would definitely make an aerodynamic difference in my case, because the license plate blocks the radiator openings...FE would be lower if I removed it.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:46 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce
The presence or absence of a license plate would definitely make an aerodynamic difference in my case, because the license plate blocks the radiator openings...FE would be lower if I removed it.
You could put it directly onto your grill block
Old 01-04-2007, 07:16 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
Check your state law.

You should really check your state law befor doing anything to your license plate, alot of states require that NOTHING be placed in front of the lisence plate numbers or experation stickers, this includes solid or clear covers.
you might be able to get away with forming your plate to fit your bumper better, but if your plate is not clearly readible unmolested exspect to get a ticket.
I left mine in the stock location as the bumper is pretty flat there, but really, if I lowered it a little it would fit right in to the grill block.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:14 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
If the airflow remains attached around the front of the car a flat license plate won't make any difference in aero. I suppose a total flush mount system would look neat and make you feel good but it won't make any quantifiable aero improvement on most car front ends.
I think it does make a difference. Imagine an air molecule hitting the front license plate, it has to be pushed aside with a 90-degree angle, which costs energy. If the angle is lower (as with a rounded plate), less energy is needed to push the air molecule aside - or in other words, the pressure on the license plate is less (check those graphical representations of pressure around a vehicle, it's main high pressure/red areas are on the front end of the vehicle where the air hits straight on). It's like with a windscreen, the lower the angle the better.
Also, with a 'rounded' licence plate the air will remain attached better than with a straight plate.

To avoid troubles with the law perhaps it's possible to beat the license plate with a hammer into a slightly rounded shape.
86Celica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:18 AM   #9
Registered Member

That's probably the best solution, and it's a heck of a lot easier to do.

I don't have a mount like cfq83 -- just a couple of holes in the bumper for the screws -- so I should be able to form it to fit pretty easily.

I doubt the cops would have a problem with a bent plate. A lot of front plates around here have big dents in them from people running into things.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2007, 04:24 PM   #10
Registered Member

i'm curently design a cover plate for a depression in my front bumper that will fair the licence plate into the bumper. legally i can't do much to the shape of the plate so i have to work with the space around it

this is what it should look like when finished (also note the grill cover that curently is only tape...the 2 top rows are closed on the back anyway!, and the airdam extention that shouldn't be to hard to make once i find a suitable material):

my initial idea was to just cover the depression, but since the licence plate is in front of it i decided to design the cover so that it would make a smooth transition between the edges of the licence plate and the lines of my bumper.

i doubt this mod will produce any measurable gains but i don't think it will hurt either.

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote