Air Dam and Front Undertray - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-23-2007, 10:40 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post
Nice craftmanship. How is the Belly tray attached? Can you remove the Airdam and still have the Belly tray? Just something else you can test for FE, with and without airdam. Do you notice any quicker warmup times?

Nice Job.
Thanks! I appreciate the compliments. The tray is attached to the dam bracing only, and not separately to the car. I could test no dam vs dam alone vs dam plus tray, but not tray alone.

Another placebo effect I forget to mention was the perceived faster warmup times. No, sorry, I am pretty much un-instrumented when it comes to serious temperature readings. I don't know if it would lead to faster warmup or not. Most of the stock openings are still open, and have a couple of inches of clearance between them and the tray. I would not expect a faster warmup, at least not with the amount of grille opening I still have.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:46 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Thanks! I appreciate the compliments. The tray is attached to the dam bracing only, and not separately to the car. I could test no dam vs dam alone vs dam plus tray, but not tray alone.

Another placebo effect I forget to mention was the perceived faster warmup times. No, sorry, I am pretty much un-instrumented when it comes to serious temperature readings. I don't know if it would lead to faster warmup or not. Most of the stock openings are still open, and have a couple of inches of clearance between them and the tray. I would not expect a faster warmup, at least not with the amount of grille opening I still have.
Is a grill block next? That's very easy. I run one year around with no overheating problems although Hondas seem to be a little touchy in that area.

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:57 AM   #13
*shrug*

Hondas are touchy about overheating? I haven't heard anything about it!
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:00 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Hondas are touchy about overheating? I haven't heard anything about it!
Well I guess I miss spoke. But it seems that most that had a honda on the site when they put the grill block on complained about it overheating.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:25 AM   #15
Registered Member

Grille Block?

Quote:
Is a grill block next? That's very easy. I run one year around with no overheating problems although Hondas seem to be a little touchy in that area.
I was going to ask about that. Is it better to block the lower or the upper? My upper is already blocked. I'd be afraid to block both, but might be able to get away with it.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:34 AM   #16
*shrug*

Quote:
Well I guess I miss spoke. But it seems that most that had a honda on the site when they put the grill block on complained about it overheating.
Really? How odd. I know that my radiator is quite too big for my engine, *shrug*
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:13 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
I was going to ask about that. Is it better to block the lower or the upper? My upper is already blocked. I'd be afraid to block both, but might be able to get away with it.
I've blocked both. Initially just make it so that you can easily remove it if the car overheats. Or you can cut a few 4X4 holes in it till you get it where you want it. If you use the search feature at the top of the page and type in Grill Block you can look at what other folks have done.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:40 PM   #18
Registered Member

Wow. Nice work!

Quote:
For what it’s worth, all of the placebo effects seem to be in place.
I'm happy to read someone who understands this issue and refrains from proclamations of success based on them alone.

That said, I also noticed my car is quieter inside with the undertray, as did krousdb when he did his Del Sol.

Quote:
And if it really does become a science project for one of my kids (or if I get bored one non-windy weekend), I will do some real A-B-A coast-down tests to see if I can measure a Cd improvement or not.
After only seeing around a 2% improvement with my full undertray, I'm also kind of itching to do an A-B-A with a large and a medium-sized air dam, something which will give the nose of my car more of a NASCAR profile.

Impressed.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:46 PM   #19
Supporting Member

Bill -

Thank you for all the work doing the pictures. Just the right size and detail. I'm a wing-nut fan myself, so I like that detail. And the Vortex Generators too!!!!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:49 PM   #20
Registered Member

Look's nice. On the grill block, one thing I found on my 89 Honda was that I was able to block the airflow almost to effectively. I also found that it seems to work much better with my 4*4 opening on the side of the radiator where the fan is. I had an opening on the other side and it didn't seem to help very much. I highly recommend it, just monitor the engine temperature and open it up if you have any doubts. A cooler engine beats a cooked engine, any day IMO.

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote