Alternator v. no alternator - 10% gain @ 70 km/h - Page 13 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2007, 06:32 PM   #121
Registered Member

This just in

BMW's Electronically Controlled Alternator and Regenerative System.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:37 PM   #122
Registered Member

I've thought about removing the alternator and throwing a few deep cycle batteries in the trunk along with adding solar panels to the car once I add a plexiglass shell over the back part of the car. How long do your batteries last at night with your headlights on?

repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:11 PM   #123
Registered Member

Electrial Loads, Charging, and Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete86 View Post
I've thought about removing the alternator and throwing a few deep cycle batteries in the trunk along with adding solar panels to the car once I add a plexiglass shell over the back part of the car. How long do your batteries last at night with your headlights on?
Here's an Electrical Load Test Randy performed.

You also have to consider the vehicle's electrical demand from the ignition/spark system. In an additional thread, a calcuation was attempted to see if solar panels could charge batteries, and IIRC, there's just too much amperage required. You could charge them overnight with the grid, but the implication of too much weight is also a factor.

I'd like to find a balance in the equation. As technology progresses, perhaps.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:04 AM   #124
Semi-retired OPEC Buster

No alternator

Several years ago on a long trip, the alternator quit on my car. A new one was not available at the city I was trapped in....so we drove home on batteries alone. We bought a couple and drove till the car started to run poorly and then dropped in the spare. The fuel mileage was significantly higher and the batteries seemed to last a couple of hundred miles during constant speed freeway driving in the daylight, I used hazards only when it was dusk. I am not sure of the state of charge of the purchased batteries, your mileage may vary.

BeeUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:17 AM   #125

Of all the ideas tossed around here, I have to say that the idea of using a thermopile appeals most to me - recovery of waste heat to create energy, no extra batteries, no moving parts. Of course, it'd be expensive. A quick search shows an entry on Halfbakery.com about it, which includes a link showing a 1kW installation on a Mack truck. The product brochure page for the HZ-14 modules they used in that project even states under possible applications: "WASTE HEAT RECOVERY - Engine exhaust powered Alternator Replacement"

Cost? At $124 each, seventy-two of those HZ-14s would run $8,928!

That's a lot of batteries...
Maillemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #126
Registered Member

hmm i have no idea if its been thrown up at all BUT! what about a electric clutch much like that on an AC compressor to be retrofitted to an alternater shaft? that way you could just "disconnect" the alternator but when you needed a charge you could just flip a switch and re-enguage the alternator. since the AC clutch pulley is relatively frictionless (you give the pulley a spin and it stays spinning for several minutes) i think it would probably work. you would have to change the pullies on your car to compensate for the larger diameter pulley on the alternator(doubt they make a clutch that small)but those you can find all over the place depending on the car.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:26 PM   #127
Registered Member

I wonder what the electric clutch would draw, though. You'd want to determine what's more efficient:

- leaving the alternator spinning while disconnecting it electrically when you want to run altnernator-less, or,

- the additional energy the electric clutch consumes when you want to run with the alternator.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:29 PM   #128
Registered Member

well depends mostly on the car i would assume
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:20 AM   #129
Team GasMisers5!

Has anyone tested just disconnecting the alternator electronically rather than mechanically?. If it is as good (or nearly as good), which couldn't you:

(1) Using relays, make a switch that lets you switch between either
a) Using the standard battery and the alternator charging it
b) Using a spare battery pack, with alternator electronically disconnected.

The spare battery pack could be used until it is almost completely discharged, and then removed and charged up at home. You would also try to reduce electrical load as much as possible (mainly by fitting LED lights, HID headlights if legal in your area, and not using the fan / radio etc when using alternator-off mode).

The batteries could be D-Cell Nimh Batteries (11Ah each) - 11 of these would give 13.2V, which is similiar to alternator voltage, and would last for one hour at 145 watts, or 1/2 hour at 290 watts. You could use two sets in parallel to double these times. As most repeated car journeys are short, you would rarely have to use the alternator!. The car would crank from the original battery which would also get charged overnight when the car is parked outside your house (or you can charge with the alternator in emergencies).

Any thoughts on this?

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:29 AM   #130
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
Has anyone tested just disconnecting the alternator electronically rather than mechanically?<snip> Any thoughts on this?
I like the idea. If you had a switch on the dash to turn it off and on, and a voltmeter reading on the dash, then you could leave the alternator disconnected until you needed to recharge the batteries. And, this would let you drive long trips, after dark, etc w/o worrying about getting too discharged.

Not sure about using D-cells as a second battery pack.