Am i welcome here?? - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #31
Site Team / Moderator

If the only comfortable cars on the road got 8 MPG I would own one and hypermile it to 12... I love driving, but I need my comfort. That means a nice, soft, comfortable, and quiet ride. My truck fits the bill. Before I started hypermiling it I only got 13 MPG in it. I now have my average over 15 in city driving, and I hope to do closer to 30 on the highway if I go on a roadtrip.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:22 PM   #32
Registered Member

I have comfort in other places. I chose to live out in the country where the air is fresh and the neighbors don't care.

that makes my commute about 30 minutes (one way) this was the reason for the commuter car. I guess I can't say too much. I have cruise control and power everything. not too shabby for a 2k dollar car.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #33
Site Team / Moderator

I grew up in the country, and that's where the Buick came into my life. I was regularly driving on gravel and unpaved roads. I needed something that could take the potholes in stride. Nothing was better on unpaved roads than my old 1980 Pontiac Bonneville Safari wagon. That was such a big, heavy car on a long wheelbase that the car just absorbed most potholes like they weren't even there. Gas was under $1/gallon so as long as I got 20 MPG highway I really didn't care.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #34
Registered Member

I love a comfortable ride too, very much so. I also like saving fuel and that is why I often come here to see how others save fuel. Fortunately, others do not discriminate against me for not being a hypermiler. This place is quite friendly, to state the obvious.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #35

You are CERTAINLY welcome here - we all enjoy fun - and if you don't mind your threads degenerating at times it's a bonus!

Welcome!
Old 09-09-2008, 02:37 AM   #36
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
yea but ricers want to race me because they think I care.

by the way I saw in another thread that you are in school for engineering. what kind. double E is a good one. you can never have too many electrical engineers. I am an E tech. engineering tech. same principle ony two years instead of 4 (oh and that whole less pay thing too)
I am an Industrial Engineer... I think it is the best option for me plus i think with industrial if i get on the right track i can get up to a really good position.
Im working a Co-op right now and it is really cool. I get to work with engines i mean who wouldn't want to do that!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 06:38 AM   #37
Registered Member

industrial? does that mean you would design industrial systems? production lines? maybe work on processees to better material flow and increase productivity and quality?

I have always wondered what some positions do. civil engineers are interesting creatures too. some build bridges and other push paper. good luck in school.

back to comfort. and I don't look down upon people that have large vehicles that use more gas than some. I used to have a pick up that got around 15MPG and would do 0-60 in under 6 seconds. I would still have it if I didn't have a child on the way. I just view comfort differently than most. I am biased because my first car was a geo metro so space was never that important to me and the fact that I am 5'7" which is below the norm so leg room is relatively unimportant (to me that is). I also love a stick shift (even though I have an auto right now). I do like to have a nice vehicle for my wife thus the element. that way I know she is safe and will reach her destination regardless of weather (for the most part). I chose my vehicle because at the time when I got it, I was driving almost 100 miles per day. that will really eat into your wallet. my fuel cost per month is hovering around $400 which makes me very consious of FE.

I say this just to let people know where I come from. there is a guy that I work with that just bought a jeep rubicon unlimited which gets 18MPG on a good day. he drives 2 miles to work. he doesn't care about FE and had stated that he spends less in gas than I do (which is true) it is all about perspective to me. if my situation were different, i would probably be driving something different myself.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:10 AM   #38
Registered Member

Yeah to sum up industrial your pretty much right. I mean right now i am working with a manufacturing plant mainly just setting up systems, making sure things are working and are up to spec and just in general making the plants run. Yeah i have a buddy in civil but i mean it fits him perfect he loves to draw. He is going to work for disney though designing rides which is pretty cool

On the comfort issue i agree with you. My family has a few mercedes which are awesome for comfort but then are really big and heavy. They are bad on fuel mileage to but we got all diesels so its not to bad. But i have an 1987 300E and i swear it is the most comfortable car. And what i really like is the huge windshield so i can see pretty much everything. Usually when you get big cars it can be hard to see so i really liked that.