Amsoil 2 Cycle As Fuel Additive - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2008, 02:44 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasUser View Post
If it really did something or was needed, it would be included in the fueling instructions of your vehicle owners manual.
By that logic, this website should not exist. All we talk about here is ways to do things differently from what the vehicle owner's manuals and state drivers manuals say. If we didn't, you could just read the manual and not have to come here for oddball ideas.

I am still highly skeptical of 2 cycle oil as an additive, and more so of expensive synthetic 2 cycle oil. Jetta90GL's point about fouling the spark plugs is a worthy consideration, too.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
By that logic, this website should not exist. All we talk about here is ways to do things differently from what the vehicle owner's manuals and state drivers manuals say. If we didn't, you could just read the manual and not have to come here for oddball ideas.

I am still highly skeptical of 2 cycle oil as an additive, and more so of expensive synthetic 2 cycle oil. Jetta90GL's point about fouling the spark plugs is a worthy consideration, too.
yea any time oil gets near a 4 stroke spark plug has never been a pleasent experience in my book

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:34 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
That depends on the heat range. If the plug is running where it should be to begin with there shouldn't be a problem with the 2 cycle oil in the gas. If you've stepped colder a range or two you might see fouling.

And even if you do foul a plug you just go one step hotter and keep motoring!
Old 12-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #14
Registered Member

Expensive vs cheap 2 cycle oil...

The more expensive 2 cycle oils are designed for high(er) dollar performance 2 stroke motors such as outboards, which these days have electronic sensors, some even have cats, so the oil needs to burn totally ashless and provide cylinder lubrication down to 200:1 dilution levels.

The cheaper stuff is designed for cheap motors, weedwhackers, mowers, chainsaws with no electronics or pollution control, and they usually actually NEED some ash content as solid surface lube to keep the rings from sticking up. So the oil is by design, rather dirty, to keep these lower spec motors buzzing.

If you're gonna stick any 2 stroke oil in your tank, find one that meets TC-W3 or TC-W4 specs, which should be ashless and sensor safe. Do not put utility motor 2 stroke oil in it.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:23 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Yeah what RW said! BTW 2.5 CC is two point two cubic centimeters to 10 gallons of gasoline - a very small amount and the synthetic oil adds some lubrication to the fuel system moving parts. When used in 2 stroke motors at higher concentrations it comes out the exhaust as oil barely burning at all according to my motorcycle mechanice brother.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #16
Registered Member

VERY preliminary report on the 2 cycle as an additive...

i'm reporting now before the first fillup because i'm taking a couple of days off which will throw off the #s a bit. my driving habits are perfect for testing with exception of extended time off from work.

same route, nearly identical mileage, same relative weather(fluctuates only ~30 degrees, 90% of the time), same avg speed, etc.

anyway, scangauge shows very little increase in MPG so far, and i haven't done any day off(city driving) errands yet(leading me to believe no noteable difference). i'll try again next tank when typical tank status resumes.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:00 PM   #17
Registered Member

I was getting some gains in combo with methanol in Marvin, but didn't seem to do anything at all on it's own. Needed about 2oz TC-W3 with 8oz methanol to 10 gallons. I was figuring it wasn't the lubrication, it was some additive in the TC-W3 that was catalyzing a reaction with the methanol.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #18
Registered Member

my reliable source seems to believe it may be the lube AND cleaning affect that synthetics are known for.

i THOUGHT i heard reported increases of 10%+, but it may have been in an unclean engine/injectors.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:42 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
heard recently about using this http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ato.aspx as a fuel additive.

the recommended amount was said to be 2oz to 5 gal.

thoughts?
I sometimes throw some old premix in my car. Especially when prices are up. I have used that Amsoil stuff before also. Never gave it much thought. Its MADE to burn in an engine. Maybe not too good for modern sensors like the O2....
Old 12-17-2008, 06:44 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
my reliable source seems to believe it may be the lube AND cleaning affect that synthetics are known for.

i THOUGHT i heard reported increases of 10%+, but it may have been in an unclean engine/injectors.
I've logged mileage for 1.5 years now. Iv thrown some 2-stroke lube in there, and some acetone, and MMO. Nothing has made any notable difference in my mileage. As always YMMV!