Blackfly XFi? - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-13-2007, 03:02 PM   #51
Registered Member

Yes - definitely thanks for spotting that XFi at your junkyard. There ain't any of those cars north of the 49th.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:56 AM   #52
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I was going to fill up tomorrow to start the "team challenge" off with a full tank, but the prices are over a buck a liter here. I may wait a week or so to see if they come down before I fill.

(EDIT the refiner who had the fire says they'll be back up to full prod'n this week. So prices should drop.)
Prices in my parts went up again today (from $0.999 - $1.039 a litre). Gasoline prices dropping? Who ever heard of that ? Have they dropped in your area MetroMPG?

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #53
Registered Member

No, and then I remembered why: it's March Break - the kids are out of school, family trips etc. Prices often go up for holidays & long weekends.

I can wait. I've got a couple of gallons left, and I don't have any out of town trips planned until later next week.

And it's warm enough that I've resumed biking for in-town trips, yay.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:17 AM   #54
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
No, and then I remembered why: it's March Break - the kids are out of school, family trips etc. Prices often go up for holidays & long weekends.

I can wait. I've got a couple of gallons left, and I don't have any out of town trips planned until later next week.

And it's warm enough that I've resumed biking for in-town trips, yay.
This has got to be a record for time between fills where a car is not up on blocks. You da man
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:45 PM   #55
Registered Member

I think it's the longest I've gone between fills before. Partly it's the car (most efficient I've owned), partly it's because I just didn't go very far this winter, and partly it's because we only got about 8 weeks of winter, so I was able to keep riding the beater 10-speed right into mid January.

---
Old 04-25-2007, 06:00 AM   #56
Registered Member

For anyone following this thread, I've updated MetroMPG.com with a post summarizing the issues, installation, and (predominantly subjective) results of installing the cam in my car. Most of what you've read here is included, with some new bits added:

International heart transplant: the Blackfly gets an XFi cam - MetroMPG.com
Old 06-27-2007, 02:25 AM   #57
Registered Member

Smile thread bump

sorry about the bump, but i just got myself what auto-zone calls an XFI cam for a 94 metro. it runs about "$157.00", i'll be getting it today or tommorow. i currently have a late 95 metro. i've tried registering over at teamswift with no success yet

so, before i get the cam i'm going to make sure i know what i'm doing. could you guys point a few things out to me like, will the cam alone increase my mpg? do i need to have the cam machined in some way, also, i am assuming i will be putting this cam in not monkeying with the timing belt and i'll be good to go. what about the cam pulley, is there any reason for getting one thats adjustable?

just modivate me already i'm looking forward to this swap, and to your replies.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:36 AM   #58
Registered Member

Welcome to GS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALgeovalley View Post
before i get the cam i'm going to make sure i know what i'm doing.
Before you start, I'd make sure it's actually an XFi profile. Got some calipers?

I assume you've seen these:

- http://metrompg.com/posts/xfi-cam-swap.htm
- http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=29755
- http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?t=23838
Old 06-27-2007, 07:20 PM   #59
Registered Member

4.64%

4.64%, i think i'm going to sit this one out, i like my car a great bit therfor i dont feel 4.64% is worth the ping. i already am getting results of around 55 mpg just the way it is. what did you get that transmission from, is that an xfi transmission you're running with that cam?

if i happen to run across a transmission and cam together i might consider it. also, everyone says the specks are 6 BTDC with circuit jumped oem. under our hoods out here in bama its labeled 5 BTDC, any reason for this? what would the best mpg setting be for me, 5 or 6? THANKS...
Old 06-28-2007, 05:49 AM   #60
Registered Member

The car won't ping if you re-adjust the timing.

Transmission is from a 93 Swift 1.3L 4-cyl. Much taller final drive than the XFi transmission.

As for timing, generally speaking, I've read that more advance is better. Of course you run the risk of ping under high loads the further forward you go.