Brisk Silver spark plugs - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

Brisk Silver spark plugs

I've wanted to try these for a long time, now, but couldn't justify the price. I found out that a friend of mine works at a place that sells them, so I'm going to ask him for a good deal.
If he'll hook me up, I'll try them, and post results. I may do it even at retail price. I would just have to save $30 worth of gas to break even, over the lifetime of the plugs, since they would cost $30 more, retail, than the OEM plugs. For 4 &3 cyl. cars, the investment would be less.
I know that they will give me more mileage and HP. I just don't know how much, yet. It may be worth the initial investment, like K&N filters, and synthetic oil.
I'll let you know.

fowljesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
Registered Member

Over the life of the plugs (50-100k miles in a modern car) are you going to be able to discern $30 gas savings that can be attributed solely to the plugs?

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
Registered Member

actually a good question. i usually stay away from expensive plugs, especially that claim to go 100k miles. even if they can go that long, i don't want them in my block for that long!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
Registered Member

http://www.lethalperformance.com/99-...-600hp-p-24986

had to look them up. well, silver is the best conductor.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
100,000 mile plugs in engines designed for a 100,000 mile plug interval are fine.

I'm going to change my GMC's plugs soon for the second time at nearly 200,000 miles. Runs fine now. I'll post pics of them after I get them out, which may not be for a couple months.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
http://www.lethalperformance.com/99-...-600hp-p-24986

had to look them up. well, silver is the best conductor.
You still probably have a resistance in the plugs to combat ignition noise in the car radio, and to keep the power going to the car's computer clean. Even if the plugs have no resistance, the plug wires probably do. The small fraction of an ohm difference between copper and silver conductor is probably not going to make a discernible difference in the voltage reaching the spark plug gap. So, while silver IS the best conductor, and gold might even be better because it won't tarnish, I just don't see where that alone is going to make a better spark plug.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:20 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
The better choice is a thinner center electrode so that the spark jumps the gap easier due to higher e-field at the finer tip and you can make the gap larger to increase the energy released with the larger spark. Iridium plugs are the way to go as far as I know and they last a long time too. Conductivity is not as important when you have 20-30k volts and only about an amp of current flowing for a fraction of a second.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
actually a good question. i usually stay away from expensive plugs, especially that claim to go 100k miles. even if they can go that long, i don't want them in my block for that long!
I've ran several sets of Bosch platinums well over 100K miles and they weren't missing when I changed them.
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
Registered Member

i'm cheap too, but not that cheap. my luck would be that i would have a problem removing them.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #10
Registered Member

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm running a 45,000v coil, and MSD box. I don't know the amps. I'm trying to get the strongest spark possible, for the leanest burn possible. I've seen HP gains on stock cars with these, so I'm assumming that they will help burn lean mixtures (20:1 or more). I also talked to a professional drag racer who swore by them.

fowljesse is offline   Reply With Quote