By-pass filter applications? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question By-pass filter applications?

Okay, I get the idea and began doing some research. I was wondering if anyone has installed such a setup on their car and what the reasons were? It seems like a good safety net against wear and perhaps reducing the amount of gunk hat builds on the bottom of the oil pan. Since a single-mount by-pass filter would only require 1 extra quart of oil to the crankcase there isn't much of an increase in oil consumption, but does include replacing the by-pass filter(which runs about the price of a 'good oil change itself'). If you are doing an extending drain interval there would be the key to getting your money's worth on top of extra engine protection.

Is there any known data or experiences from it helping extend drain intervals(oil life) when using a good synthetic oil? Are there draw backs or potential problems/hazards with this implementation?

Old 07-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
Registered Member

i believe DracoFelis has a by-pass set up.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
Registered Member

A potential problem is finding a place to mount it. A poster on Priuschat had that problem. He had good results with a setup on his truck, but wanted to move it to the Prius. No space for it though. So ended up hooking the bypass filter up to a small pump and tank. He'd recirculate used oil through this set up, and then send a sample out for testing. If it came back good, then oil was reused.
IIRC, he had three or more vehicles under his care, so this worked out to be a better system than recirculating old oil through the truck for a couple hundred miles instead.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Registered Member

I had one on a prior TDI. I was driving 45k+ per year at the time, TDI mandated full synthetic oil and meeting VW's 505.00 specification, and the lower engine cover / belly pan was an ordeal to remove and replace. At 5k intervals (roughly each 6 weeks) I was spending 2 hours on an oil and filter change, $25 for oil and $6 for a filter.
A bypass filter reduced that to 15 minutes, $0.80 for an element, and one quart each two intervals as make-up.

Now,.... I did spend a bunch on oil analysis each 10k miles, but I discovered that the by-pass allowed me to stretch full changes to over 60k miles. I ended oil sampling and testing at 60k because that was a timing belt change interval and I needed to get under the car for that anyway, so a drain and new spin-on filter were no added ordeal.

I have cut an access hole so the belly pan can stay on, have a new job and drive maybe 10k a year, and now months (not miles) dictate that I change my oil. No by-pass system on the car now.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:38 AM   #5
Registered Member

Good info, guys. The mounting problem was a question mark to myself as well. I think for anyone doing extended drains it'd be good to look into seeing if one could mount, and then figuring out how much to invest in order to get money back sooner by stretching whichever synthetic you may be using. It pays for itself quite well if you go 15k with good oil life remaining, sending in analysis at 10k or so just to be safe and then topping off again.

I'll probably never wind up doing in, but it sure is a nice way to protect your engine.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Dust
If you want to get monetary advantage out of it,you probably won't.

Check this forum

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...oard=34&page=1

GasSavers_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote