civic vx ignition timing - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-09-2008, 10:56 AM   #1
akl
Registered Member

civic vx ignition timing

I've got a 92 Civic CX that recently received a VX engine. I'm controlling the fuel and ignition using Megasquirt. My question is has anyone ever stumbled upon or data logged stock ignition timing values for the d15z1? I've barely driven the car and it seems to run well on a wide range of ignition values but I'd like to start with it very similar to the factory settings.

akl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:34 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Check over at PGMFI for a base map. I know they have the CA version map, but not sure if anyone has been able to read the FEE version yet.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:48 AM   #3
akl
Registered Member

Thanks. Last night I found the thread "Realize the full Performance/Economy Potential of a Honda Civic VX" and found some valuable timing information from suspendedhatch. The car runs reasonably well but I think I have a long road of fine tuning ahead of me.

Andrew
Old 10-10-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
I would also like to see the OEM D15Z1, D16Y5, and D15Z7 calibrations to use as a starting point. I've been told that a federal Z1 ECU is very unlikely to ever be hacked. It's a different programming language (at least that's how I understand it) because of the onboard wideband O2 controller. I've also read that there is little interest and/or progress in unlocking the OBD2 computers (concerning the Y5 and Z7).

Ultimately the advantage to a programmable ECU is that you can fine tune it beyond the OEM tune. However, my dream would be to plug an AEM EMS into each one of these stock motors and tune them myself on a load bearing dyno, then screen capture the maps and post them right here on gassavers.org. To someone like you or I, that would be even more useful than the factory calibrations.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
akl
Registered Member

I agree that having dyno tuned maps would be awesome - an awesome starting point to tune from. Every engine combination will tune slightly different which is the beauty of the programmable ecu. Thanks suspendedhatch for the great thread on your car.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
If you ever get those stock calibrations, be sure to post them in my thread. And if I ever get out of debt and tune my engine to the extent that I would like to, you'll know where to find the tuned calibration.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
akl
Registered Member

Sounds good!
Old 10-11-2008, 08:38 PM   #8
Registered Member

d15z1 is 16 at 600rpm
Paulie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
Registered Member

One thing regarding timing...

I added some timing to my 07 Mazda6 (about 4 degrees) and for some reason I got worse mpg...

I am still trying to figure out why, since there was no detonation at all and the computer was not pulling out any more.

Just keep that in mind...
Old 10-12-2008, 07:41 PM   #10
akl
Registered Member

16 at 600rpm?

Thanks, even that is valuable to me.