computer fan turbo? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-19-2008, 08:26 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Computer fans don't create much boost.

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...?number=G16216

That fan creates 235 cfm @ 0.768 static pressure. I'm using the fan for a flow bench i'm building and the cfm and pressure ratings are almost perfect for what I need. That, combined with a hot wire air flow sensor, will make for a pretty good bench when I start doing custom head work for fuel economy.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:27 AM   #12
Registered Member

I whipped up a plate with a barbed tubing fitting and measured two different 80mm computer fans with a manometer. Both read the same at 1/4 inch of water. That is about what I expected. I had been interested in this before (after I abandoned using an array of them for radiator cooling) and feel that gains could be made by reducing pumping losses rather than a "supercharger".

My car is very sensitive FE wise about intake restrictions. I had thought of a square box that replaced the original aircleaner housing and fit atop the carb. It would have 10 fans arranged around an inner box and two ram air hoses on the outer box. I can make a drawing if anyone is interested.

flapdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:37 PM   #13
Registered Member

You can make a hood scoop to pressurise this intake, the bigger the scoop or mouth the greater the pressure will be, and its free, well almost, it will create drag if its making pressure.

I think the main goal is to reduce something called parasitic drag on the intake.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:17 PM   #14
Registered Member

i also looked in to this for performance and i came across a product in the internet

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...icial%26sa%3DN

maby this will be some help to you

Russ . .
Old 06-19-2008, 08:37 PM   #15
Registered Member

That product claims on the dyno graph to give over 50hp, thats just to much of a claim, even the 10% is too much, if it could must 1 or 2% I would be happy with that.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:46 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWorks View Post
You can make a hood scoop to pressurise this intake, the bigger the scoop or mouth the greater the pressure will be, and its free, well almost, it will create drag if its making pressure.

I think the main goal is to reduce something called parasitic drag on the intake.
You are referring to a ram air intake. It stops or "stagnates" the air, whose total pressure is the combination of static and dynamic pressures.

Not really worth it, IMO. I once calculated the difference in pressures, it was pretty low. I may revisit that calculation though, to refresh my memory.
dosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:03 AM   #17
Registered Member

I did some ram intake figuring a month or two ago and was figuring that at 60mph, it would only get about .1 PSI..... however, some performance sites claim that this is enough to nullify the pumping loss/restriction of the air filter.

I have the front bumper off a bonneville SSE and am thinking I might mount it on marvin and use the driving light holes for ram intakes.

Anyway, yes, computer fans = way too weak... they're even too weak to effectively cool CPU heatsinks, they don't push the air into the fins hard enough. I have a couple of relatively small heatsinks set up with 25cfm centrifugal blowers, and because they can push a couple of PSI, they work better than 80cfm axial "howlers" on huge heatsinks. (For the technically minded, this turns a .50 c/W heatsink/fan combo into a .25 c/W or better)

However, the power draw of that type of blower is about equivalent to an axial fan of 3x the CFM.

A thing to beware of while experimenting is that you might find something that appears to give you 10psi of boost at idle, but as soon as you crack the throttle this drops to nearly nothing.

For example, some of the most powerful centrifugal blowers you can get hold of at a consumer level are leaf blowers. A typical 350CFM leaf blower will give between about 1 and 2 PSI of boost at mid RPM. Try to go WOT and 6K and it prolly won't keep up still, figure about .5 PSI there.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:09 AM   #18
Registered Member

flapdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:39 AM   #19
Registered Member

I have heard the Pressure is low even on a ram intake but those funny cars are doing 250mph, and because air gets hard to push the faster you go I guess at those speeds it must make some decent pressure and reduce pumping loses.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:23 AM   #20
Registered Member

That's pounds per square foot isn't it, not square inch, 144 sqin to the sqft, = 0.03 PSI at 30mph...

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote