Crazy Crazy Coroplast. DIY interior and Grille Block - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-10-2006, 01:19 AM   #41
Registered Member

The air exits around the

The air exits around the exhaust. From the oil pan to the gas tank there is about 6" gap between the left and right sheet of coroplast for exhaust pipe clearance. I think you can see it in the pics in the belly pan thread. I was exaggerating a bit about my engine being hermetically sealed.

The air enters through a 2"x4" hole in the grille block, through the radiator and exits by following the exhaust manifold to the cat. Also some prolly goes over the engine and down the firewall.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:51 AM   #42
Registered Member

Re: Here is the completed Grille

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
What did you cover the coroplast with? How did you attach this to the bumper?
Hopefully this picture will explain it.

Old 04-10-2006, 07:25 AM   #43

Yes very well. Thanks! It

Yes very well. Thanks! It looks good with the paint...
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:06 AM   #44
Driving on E

Re: Yes very well. Thanks! It

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
Yes very well. Thanks! It looks good with the paint...
Agreed... I'm going to make a grill block now (or at least add it to the list).
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:11 AM   #45
Registered Member

Coroplast is also available

Coroplast is also available in black if you can find it.

Old 04-15-2006, 12:39 PM   #46
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Too bad I'll never find

Too bad I'll never find chloroplast in British Racing Green. :tongue: (Not to mention that it ripples when subjected to high amounts of wind resistance in small areas, not good for a race car!)

I'm thinking of using aluminum sheet for my planned bellypan, grill block, rear wing, and rear wheel skirts. I can paint that any color I want, and it will have dramatically reduced tendacy to ripple over chloroplast. I'll need to do some research, but my best guess is that it will be suitable for up to 160 mph. My electric car when all is said and done will be capable of 140-150 or so, depending on what wheel size I go with and its affects on overall gearing, electric motor RPM being the limiting factor.

Do you plan to install shaved door handle kits as well? Those will take another .005-.008 off your drag coefficient, and imo, would look really good. It is a mioderately expensive modification, costing a few hundred dollars.

Further, you should also change the wheels to something with a smooth cover or build covers from chloroplast to place over them, if your brakes won't overheat from decreased airflow. This could be done for cheap.

You also might want to look to installing windshield wipers with a smoother surface, and install windows that don't have that piece of rubber/plastic/whatever up front to disrupt the airflow. Cheap to moderately expensive.

And I'll be disappointed if you never attempt a rear wing, something that goes from the roof and is flush with the sides of the car. Basically, those triangular gaps after your straight cutoff in the rear would have a material over them, and your roofline would continue about 10-12 inches more, shaped as if it were part of an ellipse with length divided by height being 6. Trunk access may be an issue, depending on how creative you are. The idea would be to have a rear end similar to the Smart Roadster-Coupe, only optimized for the right finess ratio. Might be moderately expensive, unless you're willing to use chloroplast and not fiberglass or metal. Getting some pictures of how your trunk opens and closes will give me lots of ideas so that I might be able to share them.

There is also the possibility of a screen and camera replacing your driver side mirror. Would be expensive.

Last but not least, find some way to cover or reduce those seams. The seams on the roof, around the gas tank, around the trunk.

Tapered rear end and underbelly will be the most important upgrades anyone can make to their car. Just the underbelly alone is likely good for another .02-.04 reduced off of Cd. A tapered rear/roofline would have a larger impact than the grill block and bellypan combined, otoh, if you can implement it. Next comes the wheel skirts and grill block, both also significant. Given Krousedb's achievements on the underbelly and grill block, the effects show.

With all of these mods combined on top of what Krouse already has, it is not out of the question to get Cd around the .23-.25 level. But it wouldn't look much like a Del Sol anymore, even if one might be able to get 80+ mpg from it! Without a tapered rear end, Cd could get down to the .30 level.

Krouse, if you ever do get the car to that state, either it's time to add as large a turbodiesel as you can fit(improved power and efficiency), or electrify the son of a *****. A heavily aero modded small car has the capability to achieve 100 miles highway range per charge on lead acid batteries(or 150+ miles city range), if diesel powered, over 100 mpg. Best of all, a diesel engine opens the chance for B100 or SVO.

If the whole point is reducing gasoline consumption, why not eventually reduce the amount of gas consumed to zero?
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 03:53 PM   #47
Registered Member

Re: Too bad I'll never find

Lots of good ideas here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Do you plan to install shaved door handle kits as well? Those will take another .005-.008 off your drag coefficient, and imo, would look really good. It is a mioderately expensive modification, costing a few hundred dollars.
Never heard of them before. I looked on ebay and found lots of popper kits but after you remove the door handles, what do you fill in the space with?

Quote:
Further, you should also change the wheels to something with a smooth cover or build covers from chloroplast to place over them, if your brakes won't overheat from decreased airflow. This could be done for cheap.
Yes, that would be cheap and easy. Im not worried about overheating brakes. What do you think flat covers are worth CD wise?

Quote:
You also might want to look to installing windshield wipers with a smoother surface, and install windows that don't have that piece of rubber/plastic/whatever up front to disrupt the airflow. Cheap to moderately expensive.
Can you direct me to the smooth windshield wipers? I think I will leave the windows alone for now.

Quote:
And I'll be disappointed if you never attempt a rear wing, something that goes from the roof and is flush with the sides of the car. Basically, those triangular gaps after your straight cutoff in the rear would have a material over them, and your roofline would continue about 10-12 inches more, shaped as if it were part of an ellipse with length divided by height being 6. Trunk access may be an issue, depending on how creative you are. The idea would be to have a rear end similar to the Smart Roadster-Coupe, only optimized for the right finess ratio. Might be moderately expensive, unless you're willing to use chloroplast and not fiberglass or metal. Getting some pictures of how your trunk opens and closes will give me lots of ideas so that I might be able to share them.
I really need a drawing or something to understand what this wing would look like. Im not too concerned about trunk access as long as the wing is easily removeable.

Quote:
There is also the possibility of a screen and camera replacing your driver side mirror. Would be expensive.
Yes I have both drivers and passenger side. I read that by removing them I could cut 3% off of aero drag. But just removing them would leave a hole in the door that would need to be covered also.

Quote:
Last but not least, find some way to cover or reduce those seams. The seams on the roof, around the gas tank, around the trunk.
Not sure how to do that short of caulking everything shut. Might be a problem when I need to gain access to something. I do have the indented fog lamps above the grille that I never use. I guess I could fill them in somehow. I wonder if that would be worth the trouble?

Quote:
Tapered rear end and underbelly will be the most important upgrades anyone can make to their car. Just the underbelly alone is likely good for another .02-.04 reduced off of Cd. A tapered rear/roofline would have a larger impact than the grill block and bellypan combined, otoh, if you can implement it. Next comes the wheel skirts and grill block, both also significant. Given Krousedb's achievements on the underbelly and grill block, the effects show.

With all of these mods combined on top of what Krouse already has, it is not out of the question to get Cd around the .23-.25 level. But it wouldn't look much like a Del Sol anymore, even if one might be able to get 80+ mpg from it! Without a tapered rear end, Cd could get down to the .30 level.
Yes, wheel skirts and wheel covers next. And a wing after that if you can draw something up for me.

Quote:
Krouse, if you ever do get the car to that state, either it's time to add as large a turbodiesel as you can fit(improved power and efficiency), or electrify the son of a *****. A heavily aero modded small car has the capability to achieve 100 miles highway range per charge on lead acid batteries(or 150+ miles city range), if diesel powered, over 100 mpg. Best of all, a diesel engine opens the chance for B100 or SVO.
I had been thinking about an electric conversion someday but the SVO stuff has really grabbed my attention. First things first, 80 MPG in a gasoline powered del sol.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:59 PM   #48
Registered Member

so the coroplast can be

so the coroplast can be bought in a sign shop, anywhere else????

Here is what i'll be covering up. The lower grill and the fog light area.

how much coroplast will that cost me?

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:45 PM   #49
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Quote:Never heard of them

Quote:
Never heard of them before. I looked on ebay and found lots of popper kits but after you remove the door handles, what do you fill in the space with?
One technique is to outline and fit a metal filler panel to the door via welding. See the following guide:

http://baggedbirds.com/shaved%20doors.htm

After the metal plate, there are all sorts of options for filler. I've read of bondo being used as filer. The link above, the car owner used something called "Kitty Hair".

Quote:
Yes, that would be cheap and easy. Im not worried about overheating brakes. What do you think flat covers are worth CD wise?
Not much.

.008 to .012, at least according to the following link(check page 5):

http://www.tfd.chalmers.se/~lelo/rva...on-to-drag.pdf

Quote:
I really need a drawing or something to understand what this wing would look like. Im not too concerned about trunk access as long as the wing is easily removeable.
I'll have to do a drawing then when I finish this semester of school.

Basically, you'd want that wing to mimic as close as possible the rear roofline of that Smart car I posted an image of in my previous post.

Quote:
Yes I have both drivers and passenger side. I read that by removing them I could cut 3% off of aero drag. But just removing them would leave a hole in the door that would need to be covered also.
If you're willing to do a little welding, this might be an option.

Quote:
Not sure how to do that short of caulking everything shut. Might be a problem when I need to gain access to something.
Well, you could always use a razor to re-cut the gaps, only they'd be much smaller. The material you'd choose would be dependent on your goal in regards to aesthetics. Caulk looks very tacky, while properly sanded bondo might not look too bad.

Quote:
I do have the indented fog lamps above the grille that I never use. I guess I could fill them in somehow. I wonder if that would be worth the trouble?
Depends on what your goal is. Might only shave .001-.003 or so off, if that. The entire point of the small modifications is that they do add up if all of them are done right.

Quote:
Yes, wheel skirts and wheel covers next. And a wing after that if you can draw something up for me.
After I do draw it, please don't take it at face value. I'm not an aeronautical engineer!

Whatever I draw, show it to someone that understands in depth automobile aerodynamics. One notable source to get ahold of is Phil Knox. He hangs around the Maxmpg board under Yahoo groups:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/maxmpg/

Quote:
I had been thinking about an electric conversion someday but the SVO stuff has really grabbed my attention. First things first, 80 MPG in a gasoline powered del sol.
If you get 80 mpg on gasoline in combined driving, you'd get roughly 80 miles range on 800 pounds of lead acid batteries.

The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:12 PM   #50
Registered Member

Remember, a lot of those election signs are made of chloroplast, i'm sure you could find a freinldly politician to support the good cause

(i'll post a picture up soon)