CRX on CVCC body? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-23-2008, 11:20 AM   #1

CRX on CVCC body?

I have a question relating to basically putting a CRX on a CVCC "chassis."

Basically as the CVCC does not have a catalytic converter, is this technically doable? IE having a CVCC VIN on a CRX. I know - cost factor - but the second step would be running alternative fuel, which I wouldn't have to leave certain emissions devices in place on the hybridized vehicle.

Comments & suggestions?

Old 04-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
Registered Member

I have an 87 civic with 1.5 CVCC engine and it came stock with a cat. The cat is hooked onto the exhaust manifold and runs vertically between the radiator and engine.

So, is your goal to run an alternative fuel on an older vehicle that did not come stock with one so you would have more leeway in terms of emissions?

There could be several issues here:

1.My insurance company asks me if the car has been modded when I get a new policy- if you have an accident with a Frankenstein car- there could be serious legal issues

2.with unibody construction, there is no true frame and you'd need to know a good welder to weld the front end of one honda onto a body of another.

3.Also- the VIN numbers are on the firewall and front corner of the windshield so for police purposes, you'd probably be licensing/smog testing the VIN number of the newer CRX body- not the frame.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #3

Not CVCC engine - I mean the CVCC vehicle (think 70's Civic or Accord).

I'm willing (and have access to said welder plus more) to go to whatever length to get the registration as the older vehicle. (And likely putting in a much newer engine, but running an alternative fuel, say propane.)

Anyone have experience with this? I'm willing to put in a non-CRX dash if I have to.

And VIN on the windshield is an easy fix. New windshield. On the dash, another story.

And modded vehicle - no problem - my inspection mechanic can do proper reporting to the state of WV.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I don't fallow what you are trying to do, are you trying to find a "leagle" way to remove your catolitic converter? for the trouble you would have to go thru you could increase your mileage in other ways and get more mileage, spend less money and do it quicker.
my '83 civic cvcc weights the same as my crx hf, has an engine that is nearly the same power, not sure if it came with a cat new or not, it's current exaust system is cobbled together, I know that some of the models did and some didn't.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:34 AM   #5

Not trying to find a legal way to remove the cat - that is illegal period. Trying to find a legal way to not have a cat on the car in the first place, but have essentially the car body I want.

I want to run on an alternative fuel (propane) AND not have a cat, AND want to play with the engine of my choice without having to go through the current emissions systems. Should be able to get MPG gains without being limited by the cat.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:25 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
So get a car old enough to be smog exempt in your state and then swap whatever engine you want. It doesn't have to be a Honda to get a Honda engine. You can get an old Honda and put a Prius engine in it if it will physically fit the dimensions of your engine bay. Cut the factory axles in half and weld them to your halved Prius axles. Get the entire engine wiring harness and ECU; or get an aftermarket standalone. Run all aftermarket gauges on your custom sheet metal dash.

This is all metaphorically speaking. Attempting to put a Prius motor into anything would probably be a monumental task. Maybe I should have said D15Z1.

Engine swaps are common and you don't have to go to any great lengths to make them legal. As for running no cat converter, I see no benefit to doing so. A high flow cat causes less backpressure than a couple of exhaust bends. Is it not compatible with your choice in fuel? Well then hollow out a cat converter and run a pipe straight through it. You don't want to leave an open chamber inside because that causes more restriction than running a legit cat.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:38 AM   #7

What I want is a CRX with a non-cat VIN on it. And I'm willing to go to the trouble and expense. My mechanic will do any legal work, no problem. Won't end around by putting a straight pipe inside a cat.

Said mechanic will do inspections every year (required in WV). I don't want smog exempt, I want no smog equipment other than EGR at most, hence CVCC. Putting in a newer engine block will work in my scheme, if it's an older Civic or CVCC, as there is no cat.

Putting in a new motor doesn't mean I need to keep the factory exhaust that came with it, but I'd essentially keep the "old" one and then upgrade it to coated straight pipes.