Data to collect? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-13-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

Data to collect?

Soon I will have a car computer (the Kiwi MPG) and I've found a pretty long flat stretch which is pretty rare in the mountains. I'm planning on doing a series of coast down tests as well as recording the average mpg for the stretch driven at every speed in 5 mph increments from 15 to 75 mph. I'll also record the throttle setting required at each speed. I'm going to attach a level in my car to gauge how flat this test area is, but was also thinking if I ran the tests in both directions and averaged them it could correct the results somewhat.

Can anyone suggest other data I should obtain while I'm over there? Or any advice on doing the tests themselves? Thanks.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:17 AM   #2
Registered Member

one thing I would like to know (doesn't really pertain to your test) is if there is a correction on the kiwi for MPG. the scangauge has a percent of correction that you can input to tweak it or dial it in. I didn't see where the kiwi could do that.

I guess more what I am asking is the calibration procedure.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:24 AM   #3
Registered Member

I am also very curious to see that. I want to do a cumulative mpg test for several tanks of fuel to test its overall accuracy. As long as the mpg is off by a consistent %, it can still be a useful guide to driving habits I guess.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 04-14-2009, 03:29 AM   #4
Registered Member

I agree with that but you would think that they would have put some sort of correction in there like the scangauge. they openly say that this model is to compete with the scangauge.

I am wondering how many features they had to cut to get the price down so low. a buddy of mine has an OBD2 reader (just to reset codes) and he paid over $100 for that alone.

*edit* I am speculating on this one as nobody has seen this thing in person yet. it may very well have a correction on it.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:36 AM   #5
Registered Member

The only review I read was very brief, so I can't draw a conclusion from it not mentioning it. It was also by a place selling them and they were very pro-Kiwi vs ScanGauge in general. I think the profit margin on these devices is pretty high, although the sales volumes must be limited. For 45% less I could believe them cutting the % correction feature. It'd be unfortunate, but not a deal breaker for me, personally. It would make me receptive to other low cost, small size competitors, though!

co de pen den cy

Old 04-14-2009, 09:03 AM   #6
Registered Member

Let us know all the juicy details when it arrives
Old 04-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
Registered Member

Supposed to be shipping today. We'll see. All the suppliers of them had their dates slip.

co de pen den cy

Old 04-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
Registered Member

this is very odd. the scangauge will do most of these things that you need extra modules for the kiwi to do.

http://plxdevices.com/sensormodules.html

I wonder what the difference is. both use the OBD2 connector for signal, I would think that they would have the same capabilities without extra equipment.

I don't think any of these are for the kiwi mpg but I still thought it was odd.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Their modules allow you to read that stuff directly from the sensors instead of requesting the data from the OBDII bus. That would allow you to see live data instead of laggy OBDII data, as well as accessing data that not all vehicles support on OBDII.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:26 AM   #10
Registered Member

I was under the impression that that was the only way to see certain data.

for example, the IAT sensor temps. they want you to straight drill a hole in the intake and throw in a K-type theromocouple? that seems extreme.

do they still have the data from the OBD2 connector on that? maybe I need to read up more on this thing.