DIY: VSS speed sensor replacement - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2007, 05:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
DIY: VSS speed sensor replacement

I bought a VSS speed sensor (I realize that's redundant, but just to be clear!) on eBay for a pittance and am calling on the expertise of this fine forum for help locating the VSS on my car, removing the old one and installin da new one. My more mechanically inclined than I friend who helped me do the brakes (I actually helped him do them, as he did most of the work) doesn't feel confident relying on the Haynes manual alone, but I think between the manual and the fantastic people on this forum we should be able to wrangle the job.

Thanks as always.
Jacinto and Wombosi: the calamitous car fixing duo.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
*shrug*

Do you want and picture of where it is on the car? I might actually have one already...

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:39 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
suah that'd be a good place to start.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:53 PM   #4
Registered Member

VSS replacement

Do yourself a huge favor and download the Helm manual for your Civic. I won't tell you how but it's easy to locate if you google it.

The VSS is located near the firewall on the top of the tranny case. It may be buried underneath the hoses and wire harness so be prepared to move them out of the way. I pulled the tranny on my VX last year and needed to disconnect the VSS wiring from the sensor.

I'm not sure why you want to replace the VSS - isn't it functioning?

Do what most mechanics do. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. AND It's better to wait for a part to fail than to fail when replacing a perfectly good part.

I'm just itching to replace my LAF sensor but I really don't have a good reason to. My mpg is where it should be, it's running good and there are no CEL's. I have stopped myself twice already because it just does not need to be changed yet. I checked the valve clearance instead so that scratched "the mess with the civic" itch for now.
jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:11 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
IIRC, Jacinto was having a problem with his speedometer randomly not working. Replacing the VSS is a good thing to try first since he got it so cheap.

Jacinto - just be real gentle when disconnecting the wires to the VSS. Sometimes it's the connector that causes the problem due to corrosion.

VSS DIY HERE <---A decent DIY with some pictures. Like Jadziasman said, it's near the firewall on the transmission.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote