Dual Point Fuel Injection to Multi Point Fuel Injection - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2005, 12:38 PM   #1
Driving on E

Dual Point Fuel Injection to Multi Point Fuel Injection

I am a Honda Driver. Some of the Honda made in the late 80s/early 90s ran on Dual Point Fuel Injection (DPFI). The later ones all ran on Multi Point Fuel Injection (MPFI). The difference is simple. On DPFI there are two fuel injectors for the four cylinders. On MPFI there are four injectors for the four cylinders.

The cars that came with MPFI were the SI models and the HF models. The DX models call came with DPFI.

I began asking people a few months ago about the potential benefits of upgrading my DPFI engine to MPFI. The upgrade only costs about $100 if you pull the parts from the junkyard yourself. Many people said that the benefits would benefit fuel economy, and others said it would hurt it.

Those who said it would help said it is because the ECU (car's computer) will be able to control just the right amount of gas for each cylinder, thus not wasting gas. Others said it would hurt fuel economy because the extra horsepower gains caused by this upgrade. With conflicting answers, i feel it appropriate to find out ourselves.

I propose that we measure the benefits of switching a DPFI car to MPFI.

This study requires 5 volunteers. Those volunteers must read guidelines for conducting a proper experiment explained on this website. This can be found here: http://www.gassavers.org/node/3

Reply to this thread if you are interested in participating in this experiment. This is also where you will post your final results.

Matt

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:47 PM   #2
*shrug*

mpg vs. speed - metro graph

Also, I think it should be noted that it will be important to differentiate those switching from DPFI to MPFI found on Si models and MPFI found on the HF, VX, CX, and other economy-centric models.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 02:14 PM   #3
Driving on E

BMW C.L.E.V.E.R. Concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Also, I think it should be noted that it will be important to differentiate those switching from DPFI to MPFI found on Si models and MPFI found on the HF, VX, CX, and other economy-centric models.
Very good point. I may have to add a second variable to the mix, or even a third. I might have to add ECU and Intake type as a variable.

Since most people are upgrading for power, I imagine most people will be upgrading to the SI intake and pm6 ECU. Either way, volunteers should note which intake and ECU combo they are planning on using.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:29 PM   #4
Registered Member

New forum guidelines, FAQ

hey. got an 89 civic hatch dx. d15b, 4 speed tranny, cai, dpfi

have all the parts to swap to mpfi just havent done it yet. waiting on some help as i am wiring inept due to being color blind.

anyway, interested in being a test subject. what do you need from me?
bludgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:08 PM   #5
Driving on E

until the gaslog is back and running...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillywrench
anyway, interested in being a test subject. what do you need from me?
Very cool. Just read the testing proceedures listed at the top of this forum (www.gassavers.org/node/3). When you have your five locations all recorded, swap to MPFI and then do the same five trips again. Remember to fill up at the beginning and end of each trip to get an accurate idea of gas mileage.

Thanks for volunteering. We all look forward to seeing the results.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:33 PM   #6
*shrug*

I hate to admit it but....

Old 09-28-2005, 11:39 AM   #7
Driving on E

Diemaster has done this

Diemaster has completed the swap and has noticed an increase in fuel economy.

Diemaster, will you please post your results after doing the MPFI swap?
Old 09-28-2005, 01:24 PM   #8
*shrug*

Quote:Diemaster has

Quote:
Diemaster has completed the swap and has noticed an increase in fuel economy.

Diemaster, will you please post your results after doing the MPFI swap?
I saw about this, it was crazy the increase was.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:05 PM   #9
Registered Member

i was getting ~19-21 MPG w/

i was getting ~19-21 MPG w/ DPFI but now with MPFI first tank was 38.4 mpg. now that i'm ajusted and "tuned" it's getting 30-32 MPG i'm young so i like to floor it :P but if i fether foot it i can get 38 again

Need this stuff gone!
https://www.honda-tech.com/zero...67053[/B]
GasSavers_Diemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:45 PM   #10
Driving on E

Re: i was getting ~19-21 MPG w/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemaster
i was getting ~19-21 MPG w/ DPFI but now with MPFI first tank was 38.4 mpg. now that i'm ajusted and "tuned" it's getting 30-32 MPG i'm young so i like to floor it :P but if i fether foot it i can get 38 again
That is absolutely amazing. I'm wondering how much of an improvement I would see on my engine. I was getting 38mpg with DPFI before. Now I get around 32mpg after my head gasket fiasco.

It seriously makes me wonder if I'm going through too much trouble by swapping in a more efficient engine. Perhaps I could have seen the exact same mileage had I just switched to MPFI.