Early acetone test results... - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-06-2007, 11:55 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Yeah I saw the mythbusters test - big V6 at 60mph dyno test which is NOT where the acetone helps the fuel burn better. It helps more at lower throttle openings in engines with smaller amounts of fuel being injected where the fuel needs more help to vaporize not the gas guzzling american poorly built V6 engines that just dump fuel in. I have run with and without it and see an improvement with it as well as better idle and smoother throttle response. Would have liked to have used it without the ethanol in the gas though to really see how much it could have helped.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:17 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
Yeah I saw the mythbusters test - big V6 at 60mph dyno test which is NOT where the acetone helps the fuel burn better. It helps more at lower throttle openings in engines with smaller amounts of fuel being injected where the fuel needs more help to vaporize not the gas guzzling american poorly built V6 engines that just dump fuel in. I have run with and without it and see an improvement with it as well as better idle and smoother throttle response. Would have liked to have used it without the ethanol in the gas though to really see how much it could have helped.
What difference does it make if its a V-6, inline 4 or a lanwmower? They are all internal combution engines and if acetone is going to affect them it will, regardless of displacement. BTW, V6's don't just "dump in" fuel, it burns at 14.7:1 just like any other fuel injected engine on the road.

I tried 2 ounces of acetone in a 13 gallon tank and got nothing more out of it than the tank before. Oh and that was with an ecotec 2.2 4 cylinder.

froggy81500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:25 PM   #13
Registered Member

Like I said it makes a big difference because it helps the fuel to vaporize better and if you are dumping a lot of fuel into the intake it will not help because the injectors are working well at that high volume of fuel . . . it's when they are only spitting out a little bit of fuel that it becomes more critical that the fuel be vaporized better so that it can ignite. It can be at the right total ratio but the fuel may not be blended very well with the air when only a little bit of fuel is injected. Which is what happens when you have a vehicle that is running slow at 40-50 mpg vs 20mpg at 60mph. 2oz in 13 gallons is too little an amount - you need 4 or 5 oz with that much fuel to get the peak benefit - too little or too much reduces the benefit to nothing. As far as V6 engines go I have a friend that I ran the scangauge on and saw 0.5gph at idle compared to my .1gph at idle in my Scion 1.5 liter 4 so yeah they suck gas like crazy 5 times what mine does.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Like I said it makes a big difference because it helps the fuel to vaporize better and if you are dumping a lot of fuel into the intake it will not help because the injectors are working well at that high volume of fuel . . . it's when they are only spitting out a little bit of fuel that it becomes more critical that the fuel be vaporized better so that it can ignite. It can be at the right total ratio but the fuel may not be blended very well with the air when only a little bit of fuel is injected. Which is what happens when you have a vehicle that is running slow at 40-50 mpg vs 20mpg at 60mph. 2oz in 13 gallons is too little an amount - you need 4 or 5 oz with that much fuel to get the peak benefit - too little or too much reduces the benefit to nothing. As far as V6 engines go I have a friend that I ran the scangauge on and saw 0.5gph at idle compared to my .1gph at idle in my Scion 1.5 liter 4 so yeah they suck gas like crazy 5 times what mine does.

Gee, its a no brainer that a larger displacement engine will require more fuel than a smaller engine. Also, the amount of fuel being sprayed at the injectors is still going to be proportional to the incoming air. Atomization was a problem with carbs but not so much with modern fuel injection.
froggy81500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:51 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy81500 View Post
Gee, its a no brainer that a larger displacement engine will require more fuel than a smaller engine. Also, the amount of fuel being sprayed at the injectors is still going to be proportional to the incoming air. Atomization was a problem with carbs but not so much with modern fuel injection.
Yeah you would think so but ya know what?? it still is at the really low burn rates - it is simple math when you look at the very small amount of fuel being used and the narrow pulse widths the the injectors are open. We are talking lawnmower burn rates in a 1.5 liter engine through big honking intakes when compared to a 3/4 inch diameter intake of a lawnmower. Spark plugs are the same or else the Iridium plugs would not be boasting a better spark - that test is my next one on my xB. I have a friend with a 10 year old F150 truck and tried it and it helped and he likes to drive 70mph on long trips. Honda's on the other hand have a very poor response to acetone use.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:02 AM   #16
Registered Member

Some have tested isopropyl alcohol at 4-5 oz per 10 G to work with the ethanol blended in gas. Must be used with a lube such as 3 oz MMoil or maybe 5 oz WD40 per 10 G though.

Some areas have 90% isopropyl in drug stores I guess.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:17 AM   #17
Registered Member

Yeow I don't know about only 90% that still leaves 10% water not a good thing to be adding to the tank! Drug stores sell 70% and 90% all the time. I hear WD40 is a big NO NO to add to the fuel system also - contains stuff that either doesn't burn right or attacks plastic in the fuel system.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:57 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeow I don't know about only 90% that still leaves 10% water not a good thing to be adding to the tank! Drug stores sell 70% and 90% all the time. I hear WD40 is a big NO NO to add to the fuel system also - contains stuff that either doesn't burn right or attacks plastic in the fuel system.
I've used WD40 and saw a slight mpg gain...carbed engine. I've seen it recommended as a top lube along with MMoil and mineral oil by people who should know.

There is already water in your ethanol laced gas? Some even use 70% isopropyl...so they claim...to "remove" water from gas in winter.

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:16 AM   #19
Registered Member

I guess the real test would be to add some to gasoline and see what happens - if it separates out into a white cloud or droplets of water at the bottom then it's not a good idea.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:39 AM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
The other thing to do when testing acetone is use different concentrations because all engines are NOT built the same, do NOT always run 14.7:1 mix ratio and do not have exactly the same fuel pressure, injectors, port aerodynamics, are not always running the exact same blend of gas, and most importantly are never in the exact same state of cleanlyness, repair, or operation.

mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote